What new guitar should I buy... Under 1000ish

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theaero

Reaction score
I am looking for a new guitar, with the following requirements:

-Needs to be sexy. Duh.
-Ebony Fretboard. A must
-Two good humbuckers, w/ more controls and features the better (4 pots preferred, w/ coil tapping, etc)
-Good components. (Nut, bridge, tuners, electronics, etc)

I don't wanna have to put to much extra money into the guitar.

Any ideas or opinions? I own a lot of schecters and things like that, but I wanna get something different.

Also, if anyone is selling their axe that meets what I need, let me know. Thanks!

I was pleasantly surprised with a Dean I bought recently. I'm not sure what you consider sexy but I wouldn't rule them out.

Another guitar I wouldn't hesitate to buy would be anything from Reverend. Great guitars.

maybe a used jackson soloist. or maybe a new dinky. an esp/ltd or maybe a b.c. rich

I think that putting ebony as a must plus great components on a 1000 dollar guitar is a bit of a stretch. Your best bet might to look for a used one because then it might be a bit more reasonable.

What kind of music do you play or want to play? That should determine a lot about what kind of suggestions we could offer. Also, from my experience, "sexy" is subjective especially when referring to a guitar, car, or person! :D

I have an ESP MII Urban Camo guitar that hasn't been getting much playing time lately that I am thinking of letting go in the $1k area . It has an ebony fretboard is sexy but doesn't have a lot of controls. If you're interested pm me.

I have been reading that the PRS SE guitars are a very good guitar for the money. When i was younger i owned a few ltd's and i will never own another one again. Also if you can find a used gibson les paul studio those are a fantastic guitar.

I play a lot of emo/indie/hardcore/rock. I don't shred, but I do need something that plays fast and easy, and something with a lot of tonal variety. I am not a fan or jackson, carvin, prs SE, etc. I dunno. I'm super picky about my guitars, but so far the suggestions have been good, thanks.

I wouldnt mind a studio LP, but the only one that ive really enjoyed is the GOTW ebony satin one. Probably once again, because of the fingerboard.

For some reason I hate the feel of rosewood.

I own a gibson explorer pro, i've had it since the initial launch in 03, it has the ebony fretboard, it plays incredible, its my emg guitar. You can probably find one on ebay for around that price. Other than that, buy a used gibson les paul studio and put some dimarzios or duncans in it and call it a day.

theaero said:
I wouldnt mind a studio LP, but the only one that ive really enjoyed is the GOTW ebony satin one. Probably once again, because of the fingerboard.
Have you looked into a Les Paul Studio Lite? These are relatively available made from '87 to '95. Not too hard to find one from $600-900. They have thinner 60s necks and ebony fretboards. They came in trans red, trans blue (my fave), trans amber, cherry sunburst, tobacco sunburst, and a strange mocha color. They have the fancy trapezoid inlays in the fretboard instead of dots. It's called a Lite because there's a section of chromalyte (balsa wood) in the mahogany body. Still a solid guitar, though with a 3-piece maple top. They also came in a variation called the MIII which has a humbucker-single coil-humbucker configuration--kinda set up like a super strat.

Specs are here.
http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/studiolite.html

I have a trans red one and I love it. No difference from a normal studio except for the lighter weight and ebony fretboard. If you want a thicker neck profile (not quite 50s chunky, though), some ebony LP Studios also came with ebony fretboards from I think '91 to '93. I think the idea was bagged due to the extra cost. Also all Alpine White LP Studios have an ebony fretboard, as well as the Gibson LP Gothic. No other reasonably priced LPs came with an ebony fretboard outside of these. There was a limited edition standard recently, but they cost at least $1700 used normally.

The alpine white studios have ebony? But they are the only ones that dont come with BBpros right? =[

I didn't think any of the Studios came with Burstbuckers. I thought they all came with the 490R and 498T.

Sorry theaero. After my wordy answer, I just noticed you wanted a new guitar. Can't get a new LP Studio Lite or LP Gothic. Guess the only choice would be a new Studio. Noticed on their site that you can also choose Classic White too. Maybe you can special order an upgrade to BBs or BB Pros for a little extra?

The plain mahogany ones have either BBs or BBpros. And I don't mind if the guitar is used or new. As long as its in good condition, its fine w/ me.

Go for one of the USA Hamer shredders from the 80's or early 90's..insane value for those guitars. You can pick up a Hamer USA Cali for about $800 and it will have ebony and boomers. Killer guitars.

hamer_californian_89.JPG

Back