What Mesa amp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rallius

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm looking to get a new amp to go with my new les paul standard. I play a lot of blues and classic rock. I already have a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I'm looking for a more British type of sound since I already have the fender. I'm going tomorrow to check out some amps but would like some advice from everyone here. I'm looking at the Express 5:25 probably with the 12inch speaker or a stiletto combo. I'd prefer to spend closer to a thousand than 2000...... IS there a big tone difference between the two express models because of the EL-84's vs the 6L6's? I don't need the extra power because I use it mostly in a class room low volume setting.
thanks
Kevin

sounds like you're speaking Stiletto language. I switched from the Dual Rec to Stiletto Ace for exactly that - a more british classic rock sound and it delivers. If it's just a classroom low volume thing though, the Stiletto may be too much. It's 50W and loud as crap.

It seems as whenever one person asks this question and then get's their new stiletto... another one comes along and asks the same question :)

I really liked the F30 with the EL34's. It had a really nice lead voicing. The Express 5:25 was nice as well.... But there is definitely two classic British sounds and the EL84's are not the Marshall type EL34 sound in my opinion. Your budget may limit you at $1000.

I bought a Lone Star Special 3 weeks ago and love it. It does a great job at low volume too. I am now looking at Les Pauls just because this amp did such a great job with them at the store when I bought the amp. Ck it out, they are high but in my opinion they are definately keepers. They also have the 5 watt option which is real nice. You can find a used one for a little over a grand.

The Express 5:25 does, however, do a rather nice Vox AC30 imitation, especially on the clean and crunch settings. On lower gain settings, you are in Beatles territory, and with a little more gain on the crunch setting with a Deluxe Memory Man, it is early U2.

The Express crunch & burn channels can sound great for Marshall rock sounds, but the Stiletto will get you closer. But hey, for half the price the Express rocks!

I did notice a difference in tone between the 5:25 and the 5:50. The 5:50 is more Fendery, with glassier cleans and more bassy thump when overdriven. I preferred the 5:25 though, with Voxy cleans and od. I liked the harmonic richness to the tone.

I bought the 5:25 10in today. Great little portable package for a bit over $1000. The Brit tone is there... maybe a little boxy, unlike the Stiletto. But when I balanced weight, size, price, tone and versatility, the 5:25 came on top.

Returned the 5:25... after a short honeymoon the mojo was gone.

Ordered a Zinky Blue Velvet 25-watt... a simpler amp. We will see if we bond.

Back