What is your favorite 4x12 Cab for the Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnson

Reaction score
So I just got an Orange 4x12 with V30 speakers in it. I love the tones I get when I play rhythm. Its the kind of tone that you can feel in your chest. However, When I go to play leads, the tone sounds too compressed, and it gets lost in the mix when I am playing with the band. But when I play with my marshall jcm900 cabinet (75watt celestions), the leads sound great, and the rhythm sounds pretty good too...just not as good as the orange/v30's. Has anyone ever tried Greenback speakers with a dual rectifier? So, I just wanted to hear peoples opinions on 4x12 cabs/speaker combos in conjuction with the dual rectifier...Thanks!!

I think that's odd. The G12-75s are more of a scooped sound than the notoriously mid heavy V30s so i would have though you'd be clearer in the mix with the Orange cab. Maybe the extra bite of the 75s is helping you cut through.

HALFBACKS :!: Any speaker setup spanks all other guitar cabs, hands down ! My favorite driver config is 2 Black Shadow MC90's in open top and 2 EVM-12L 200 watters in closed bottom.
Or even better all 4 EV's ! :shock:

These Mesa halfbacks eat Marshall's as midnight snacks :twisted: :lol:

Johnson said:
So I just got an Orange 4x12 with V30 speakers in it. I love the tones I get when I play rhythm. Its the kind of tone that you can feel in your chest. However, When I go to play leads, the tone sounds too compressed, and it gets lost in the mix when I am playing with the band. But when I play with my marshall jcm900 cabinet (75watt celestions), the leads sound great, and the rhythm sounds pretty good too...just not as good as the orange/v30's. Has anyone ever tried Greenback speakers with a dual rectifier? So, I just wanted to hear peoples opinions on 4x12 cabs/speaker combos in conjuction with the dual rectifier...Thanks!!
I'm a little surprised by your findings -- V30s are so mid-heavy, I can't imagine getting lost in the mix with the V30-loaded Orange 4x12.

Elpelotero said:
try a boost of some sorts...volume, pedal, eq...

A very fine piece of advice, a clean boost or even better an eq pedal pushing some mids and high-mids works awesome to cut through the mix.

But I have to insist....if you get a chance to hear one, (a friend knows a friend who has one, scenario) seek it out and ask if you can try out their Mesa 4x12 halfback and A/B it with your Marshall.

:shock: You'll understand why I rant about these cabs !

i was actually watching my Jimi Hendrix Woodstock dvd today and noticed his leads sounded really good, but every time he went down for some pedal to boost things up. The sound difference between his regular rhythm tone and the leads were remarkable...they sounded very open and airy, but punchy...in other words, not compressed like you say. may be worth checking out what he used to have.

I still like my Traditional 4x12. I haven't tried my G/B cab with the DR yet. I had it plugged in today though pumping out JMP goodness through that cool checkerboard grille cloth. I am not a fan of putting a 100watt head (ie. DR) through a single 100 watt cab. There just isn't enough headroom in the speakers. I might have to run the G/B cab and the 65 cab or the Thiele to ensure I don't blow up the G/B's but doing that will be more difficult to isolate the G/B's.

Russ said:
I still like my Traditional 4x12. I haven't tried my G/B cab with the DR yet. I had it plugged in today though pumping out JMP goodness through that cool checkerboard grille cloth. I am not a fan of putting a 100watt head (ie. DR) through a single 100 watt cab. There just isn't enough headroom in the speakers. I might have to run the G/B cab and the 65 cab or the Thiele to ensure I don't blow up the G/B's but doing that will be more difficult to isolate the G/B's.
It would be interesting to hear how the DR sounds with a GB-loaded cab. I've heard some people say that it's a terrible match, and others say it sounds great.

Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback. Im interested to hear how the GB's sound with the dual rectifier as well. I'm also interested in seeing how the mesa halfback sounds as well. I have a friend in the recording biz who swears by the DR/GB combo. But on the otherhand, I have also heard things similar to what Russ said about not having enough headroom w/ the 100w speakers and the dual rec.

I had to really hold my JCM800 2210 (100 watt head) back when playing into the G/B loaded cab. Both of the JCM900 1960A & 1960B cabs I have that are loaded with 75's individually had no problem handling the 2210 and even my other one, a JCM800 1960A, that I have that is loaded with the 65's took the beating no problem. This is why I am thinking the DR might be better matched with 65's than G/B's. There isn't a whole lot of sonic difference between the G/B and the 65 other than power handling.

i love my Orange 4x12 with my dual rec, and with my SLO.

i've been thinking about getting a mesa cabinet for my dual rec and a marshall 1960bx for my SLO, but we'll see.

I'm a bit of a weirdo when it comes to tone, but my favourite two cabs with my Single Recto (sorry don't have a Dual) is my Marshall 1960 4x12 cab (with G12T-75's), and SURPRISE!, my Peavey 5150 4x12 cab (with Sheffield 1200's) - nice and tight and forward... I don't like the Recto through my Marshall cab with GB's - too soft... But to put this in perspective I LOVE my Stiletto (and 5150! - wow!) through the oversize Recto 4x12 which is a little backwards... through the GB's I love my Marshalls and my Orange... YMMV! Hope this helps. Brent

i have a marshall jcm900 slant cab. with v30s sounds real good although i like to play very loud so im sure sometime soon i will be replaceing 1 if not 4 of them :shock: i aslo have a a jcm900 slant with greenbacks ,from my experience the dual chews em up and spits em out!,i never plug my triple into it,what i would love to try are the e.v's rated at 200watts per speaker!i almost cant wait to blow my 30's to give me a good excuse!!!!i realy think i should get the e.v."s or replace the greenbacks with 30"s,i think maybe running 2cabs will lighten the load??...naaa me thinks the ev"s be betta :twisted: or at least i wouldnt have to haul 2cabs or worry about blowing them up :lol:

Back