What is your cabinet choice with your Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejay

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone is using cabinet wise for their Recto. I run my Roadster through a 4x12 Recto cab.

Mesa 4X12 (Traditional, Straight) 4X12 w/V30's. Mine is the traditional sized "Recto" cab, before they started calling it the "Stiletto" cab.

I chose the smaller traditional Mesa cab because I A/B'd it with the oversize one and the smaller one smoked it hands down in terms of mids and still had a better bass response than most cabs out there.

Roadster is paired up with a Roadking 4x12, with a custom fullsize backboard Mesa made me so it's completely sealed in the back.

Sounds killer, The Roadking 4x12 sounds different than the standard cab even though it's the same dimensions as the oversized. I think the internal board splitting the interior airspace has something to do with it.

Melodyman said:
Sounds killer, The Roadking 4x12 sounds different than the standard cab even though it's the same dimensions as the oversized. I think the internal board splitting the interior airspace has something to do with it.

I think the fact that it has two MC90s might have something to do with it also :D

Oh yeah, and I used to have a Stiletto Traditional slant, and it just constantly sounded too middy around 400 Hz, the stuffy/wooly/dense mids (when there are too much of them anyway), then sold it for a Recto cab, which with its larger size shifts the emphasis down to the chuggs and makes the mids SO much clearer and focused with high gain tones IMO, I've never looked back! Here's a comparison I did awhile ago (though I've since changed my settings, that beehive sound is from having the treble on my 2 ch. too high at around 1:30, rather than 11:30 where I run it now)

Link to zip file with mp3's of each cab (as close to the same mic position as possible between the two, identical amp settings, and re-amped DI's so identical performances)

Recto Traditional Straight Front/Slant Baffle with Vintage 30's wired with Monster Speaker Cable and a screw through the back going into the brace to prevent horendous rattling.

fluff191 said:
Recto Traditional Straight Front/Slant Baffle with Vintage 30's wired with Monster Speaker Cable and a screw through the back going into the brace to prevent horendous rattling.

Wait, you mean Recto Standard? That's the only one they made with the slanted baffle/overhang...

An Avatar 2X12 open back with 2 Vintage 30's and a Mesa 1X12 that I sit on top of the head for my own monitor. I would love to get a 4x12 again!

I don't play out (unfortunately), and I love the Mesa 3/4 back cabs - so I just have a Rect-o-Verb combo (which has a 3/4 back combo cab design) with original C90 and a matching 3/4 back 1x12 cab w/ a C90 as well. They do the job just fine for me and my DC-3 sounds great through them as well.

Randall straight front 4x12 with vintage Jaguar speakers. I had a Marshall DSL head paired with a 1960A V30 loaded cab, and always was fighting harshness at high gain levels. I switched heads a number of times in an effort to improve my high gain tone, ending up with a 2 ch Triple. I loved the Mesa grind but still really struggled with the harshness... until one night I borrowed a friend's old Randall cab... all traces of harshness gone. I couldn't believe the cab made that much difference. I bought a cab just like it, and all my heads sound better through it, and for the Recto in particular there's absloutely no fizz at all. I actually have to run the Treble and Presence up somewhat so that it's not too dark sounding, but the results have been great... several compliments from our sound guy. Lesson learned for me, don't overlook anything in the signal chain when trying to find your sound.

Freefall said:
Randall straight front 4x12 with vintage Jaguar speakers. I had a Marshall DSL head paired with a 1960A V30 loaded cab, and always was fighting harshness at high gain levels. I switched heads a number of times in an effort to improve my high gain tone, ending up with a 2 ch Triple. I loved the Mesa grind but still really struggled with the harshness... until one night I borrowed a friend's old Randall cab... all traces of harshness gone. I couldn't believe the cab made that much difference. I bought a cab just like it, and all my heads sound better through it, and for the Recto in particular there's absloutely no fizz at all. I actually have to run the Treble and Presence up somewhat so that it's not too dark sounding, but the results have been great... several compliments from our sound guy. Lesson learned for me, don't overlook anything in the signal chain when trying to find your sound.

I've tried a Recto with a Randall cab before. You'll definitely find that it will be even better with Mesa cabs...

Genz-Benz 2x12. In a word; HUGE.

I wouldn't mind a Recto 2x12 or a Port City 2x12 to sit atop that one, though!

I second the Randall cabs. I have an RS125CX with 2 12" 75w Celestions and 1 15" Eminence Legend and an older 4x12 with 2 75's and 2 V30s. no fizz and killer chunk.

Latest posts

Back