What is a good EL34 for a Stiletto Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eshithead

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a better el34 than the stock sovtek, how about the Sylvania on the mesa store or the JJ E34L, or the new chineese mullard clones??

Thanks
Ed

my favorite el34s are Winged =C= EL-34s

I use them with my Ace. they are excellent. a good source of tubes from the net is dougstubes.com

inkwachemis said:

I use them with my Ace. they are excellent. a good source of tubes from the net is dougstubes.com

How do these differ tonally from the Sovtek? I've read a lot about them.

Platypus said:
inkwachemis said:

I can't do an exact difference solely btw the power tubes cause I changed out the stock preamps all at the same time too. In the preamps, i changed to tungsols in v1 &2 and jjecc83s in the rest of the slots.

this + the winged =c= el34s made a very very nice difference for the better. most tube changes in amps are subtle, but this one was I'd say, slightly more apparent in overall tone. everything sounded warmer and thicker and smoother. in all clean tones and OD tones. Someone else here did a full tube change as well and found simliar results. It also seemed to open up the amp more and make it seem less congested. I am certain of these results, its not in my head! I'm actually disappointed in Mesa for putting such inferior stock tubes in their amps! My rectoverb stock wasn't that bad.

Platypus said:
Interesting, I'm actually very fond of the stock tubes in my Ace.

well, tubes vary, thats the nature of them. perhaps u got a good set. either way, the good thing about tubes is that they are a relatively inexpensive investment. having really good tubes for the price u can get them these days is worth every penny for me.

Platypus said:
inkwachemis said:

The groove tubes seem interesting to me . I've heard that the marshall hi gain sag kit is nice . Its three preamp tubes but they arent cheap . Its on their site . I think they have the best quality control .

How about the NOS Siemens/RFT EL that Mesa badges as the STR 450.

I bought 2 sets with my Ace and they are AMAZING. At $70, they're a steal compared to the going rate of $100-$120 for Siemens El34s in the original boxes w/ original silkscreen.

I can't think of a tube that would come close except a well-selected set of SED =C=

eshithead said:
Can anyone recomend a better el34 than the stock sovtek, how about the Sylvania on the mesa store or the JJ E34L, or the new chineese mullard clones??

Thanks
Ed

Seems to me that amp kicks butt right out the box . Each to his own though .

Its a pretty common concensus among users and retailers, that the winged =C= is the best EL34 on the market right now.

Get them.

I run them in my Ace. They sound great.

bonchie said:
Its a pretty common concensus among users and retailers, that the winged =C= is the best EL34 on the market right now.

Get them.

Cool. That's what I've been reading. Any Consensus on what is the Best 6L6? I've read a lot of praise for Winged C here too.

NuSkoolTone said:
bonchie said:

Get them.

Cool. That's what I've been reading. Any Consensus on what is the Best 6L6? I've read a lot of praise for Winged C here too.

I don't know really, but I've heard the winged C 6L6 is also one of the best 6L6's on the market.

Back