What gauge strings for doom metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtbaker

Reaction score
I just bought a new SG and I'm planning for using it in a doom metal band (Electric Wizard style). I'm getting it setup in C standard, and will mostly be playing in that and maybe two steps down at A#. My Ernie Ball Power Slinky (11's) are good on my LP in standard tuning, but tuned down to C, they're way too loose. What's a good heavy gauge string I should use?

I'd say 12s or 13s.. I play a guitar in C# and B with 12s and they're pretty consistent.. I might move up to 13 though.

get some of the Ernie Ball custom gauge stings. "Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom" or "Not Even Slinky" i think are both designed for low tunings.

Yeah, I was thinking the Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky because I usually use Power Slinky and I'm guessing they'll have the same feel.

I play more of a technical metal style, and i use 11-50 or 11-52's and they work well. I can still solo and not break my fingers and the heavy stuff comes through....well....HEAVY :twisted:

-AJH

The thicker the string, the tighter the guitar will sound. My guess is that if you use 10's and tune that low, the strings will just flop around like a fish out of water.

Instead of going the custom string packs route, I use packs of EB Power Slinky 7-string sets. They are 11-58 and I remove the smallest wound string and use the rest. It makes it a beefier version of a LT/HB. I tune my guitars no higher than drop C, mostly C and B standard and then dropping to A, they hold great tune and have a good feel that is not too slinky. Try it and see if ya like it. They should be off the shelf sets at most music stores.

Instead of going the custom string packs route, I use packs of EB Power Slinky 7-string sets. They are 11-58 and I remove the smallest wound string and use the rest. It makes it a beefier version of a LT/HB. I tune my guitars no higher than drop C, mostly C and B standard and then dropping to A, they hold great tune and have a good feel that is not too slinky. Try it and see if ya like it. They should be off the shelf sets at most music stores.

When you say "doom metal", I think Black sabbath and type o negative. Iommi, back in the day, used really skinny strings to get his tone; type o negative seems to sound the same, to me.

Latest posts

Back