What exactly is the C+ mod of Mark III?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fome

Reaction score
I've been reading about this, but I don't quite understand what it is. Can it be done to any Mark III? I have a 60 watt version without simulclass, probably a black stripe (but it's got the EQ and reverb for some reason). Sonically, how is the IIIC+ different?

To get this mod, do you just call Mesa and talk to Mike B, before shipping the amp to him?

fome said:
I've been reading about this, but I don't quite understand what it is. Can it be done to any Mark III? I have a 60 watt version without simulclass, probably a black stripe (but it's got the EQ and reverb for some reason). Sonically, how is the IIIC+ different?

To get this mod, do you just call Mesa and talk to Mike B, before shipping the amp to him?

Yes, talk to Mike B. He will give you the low down on what can be done and what to expect sonically. Some claim that the Mark IIIC+ is the closest any Mesa amp can come to a IIC+ without it being one, other claim it is just in the ballpark. Since I have never played a IIC+ I can't comment on this. Either way the C+ mod will change the character of your III. Most notably it will round off the top end fizz from a stock III. It will also thicken up the bottom end for more chunk and make the amp a bit more dynamically responsive. Also, the clean channel will become more glassy.

I think all IIIs can have this mod done as it is really just a preamp tweak but start by calling Mike B so you know for sure.

reo73 said:
fome said:

Yes, talk to Mike B. He will give you the low down on what can be done and what to expect sonically. Some claim that the Mark IIIC+ is the closest any Mesa amp can come to a IIC+ without it being one, other claim it is just in the ballpark. Since I have never played a IIC+ I can't comment on this. Either way the C+ mod will change the character of your III. Most notably it will round off the top end fizz from a stock III. It will also thicken up the bottom end for more chunk and make the amp a bit more dynamically responsive. Also, the clean channel will become more glassy.

I think all IIIs can have this mod done as it is really just a preamp tweak but start by calling Mike B so you know for sure.

Any info on what the cost of the preamp mod is reo ?

Paul Secondino said:
Any info on what the cost of the preamp mod is reo ?

I paid $300+shipping for the C+ and R2 mod 18 months ago. I am guessing it is about the same.

Back