What exactly is Slave Out and how do you guys use it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ yup...basically get one amp, say a mark4, and slave the pre-amp out to be powered by a dual rec, or w/e you'd like. you get the pre-amp qualities of one and the power amp qualities of other.

strumminsix said:
I've read the manual but don't understand.
Likely I'm making it more complicated than it is.

Lets say that you're a rock star and that you have three Dual Recto full stacks on your backline.

You could either run all three on their own, have three amp channel switches in front of you, and jump on all three buttons every time you switch channels.

or

you could run one amp as the master preamp, and run the slave out into the FX loop return of the other two (slave) amps......that way you only need to jump on the master amps switch to control the sound coming from both the master and slave amps.

You can also do it to mix and match preamps/power amps. One thing that's kinda cool is slaving into a Marshall. That way, you get the thump of the 6L6s, and the crunch of the EL34s.

You could also use it as an additional recording output into a mixer, but then it would make sense to add a 10nF capacitor to ground at the slave out jack, because otherwise it's too bright. The slave out feed comes from the same place in the circuit as the Presence control, by the way (right before the phase inverter), so it differs from the usual preamp out, too.

hans-jürgen said:
You could also use it as an additional recording output into a mixer, but then it would make sense to add a 10nF capacitor to ground at the slave out jack, because otherwise it's too bright. The slave out feed comes from the same place in the circuit as the Presence control, by the way (right before the phase inverter), so it differs from the usual preamp out, too.

How would I do this?

If you were to slave into another amp would you connect into the input of the amp or the pre-amp in of the other amp?

My guess is that it would have to either be a pre-amp input or a "in" on the affects loop...correct???

At one time Mesa made a slave amp, a poweramp combo so to speak. I will have to look at some old catalogs when I get home to find a model number. If I recall right it also had the sliding EQ on it.

strumminsix said:
So, build a little box and put a cap bridging across the two?
I opened my Mark IIB and soldered it across the jack, that's the easiest method in my opinion. But if you want to have that cap (a low-pass cutting the highs, by the way) in an extra box outside of the amp, it would be possible, too.

As promised. There were two slave amps, the Satellite Sixty and the Simul Satellite with EQ. Sorry I have no way to post a pic here. I found these in the '95 catalog.

Ken j said:
As promised. There were two slave amps, the Satellite Sixty and the Simul Satellite with EQ. Sorry I have no way to post a pic here. I found these in the '95 catalog.

Hey Ken,

I saw you mention the Simul-Satellite powered extension speaker. Here is a picture:
Sim_Sat_1.jpg

Sim_Sat_6.jpg

I use Photobucket to host the pictures:
www.photobucket.com

Guitar George

Back