What EQ Pedal to get??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adambomb

Reaction score
I have been looking at the MXR 10 Band EQ. Also the Kerry King 10 band EQ. Does anybody have any good suggestions for a EQ pedal to get for a Mesa Dual Recto?

I have ordered the Kerry King 10 band EQ... I will let you know once I get it... I will compare it with the boss and other they have in store...

As I've posted before on this very question, it's often not so important which brand of EQ you get, assuming acceptable noise levels, as it is which frequencies that EQ governs. I can spend $300-400 on a nice dual 31-band EQ and if it doesn't have an 800Hz, a 100-120Hz, and a 200-250Hz slider, I still won't get a unit that is workable for me.

Try a few out. Make sure that the unit doesn't add too much to the noise floor of your signal. Make sure it governs the individual frequencies that you find important.

Chris McKinley said:
As I've posted before on this very question, it's often not so important which brand of EQ you get, assuming acceptable noise levels, as it is which frequencies that EQ governs. I can spend $300-400 on a nice dual 31-band EQ and if it doesn't have an 800Hz, a 100-120Hz, and a 200-250Hz slider, I still won't get a unit that is workable for me.

Try a few out. Make sure that the unit doesn't add too much to the noise floor of your signal. Make sure it governs the individual frequencies that you find important.

+1 on that. depending on the style of music you play, you should make sure that the EQ you get has the frequencies that can compliment your style of music. I have the MXR10 band and I play a lot of modern chest-thumping metal so having the ability to drop the 200-250hz and raise the 100-120hz made my recto drop the loose bass and give a very nice tight thumping bass. The 800hz is also a must for soaring leads!!

leblanc74 said:
I have ordered the Kerry King 10 band EQ... I will let you know once I get it... I will compare it with the boss and other they have in store...

After trying the MXR KFK1 10 Band EQ .... it is now in my arsenal gear... very good pedal

drummerboy7816 said:
Chris McKinley said:

+1 on that. depending on the style of music you play, you should make sure that the EQ you get has the frequencies that can compliment your style of music. I have the MXR10 band and I play a lot of modern chest-thumping metal so having the ability to drop the 200-250hz and raise the 100-120hz made my recto drop the loose bass and give a very nice tight thumping bass. The 800hz is also a must for soaring leads!!

+100

Anyone ever notice the Mesa EQ's have very unique frequencies???

i only tried one EQ... MXR 10, not the kerry one... and i like it... that's all i can say... :?

Elpelotero said:
x2. Right now I'm looking into getting a Tone Jam Sniper Modded GE-7, all the reviews I've read seem to be no less than rave, although the price is a little high. They also have a Sniper Modded MXR 10, for a little extra.

I use the Presonus EQ3B Parametric EQ. This is after owning the MXR 10 band and a DOD 31-band graphic. It's very simple and much more versatile than I would have expected. Parametric is the way to go.

I use the MXR Kerry King with my Roadster Combo. It works great - really boosts and shapes your tone nicely. It can also drive 2 amps. The regular MXR 10-band is also a good EQ.

Do a search on this Effects forum for other posts on EQs - there is alot of good info.

Elpelotero said:
Yes I noticed, and I don't particularly like them either. That's why I set my Mark IV eq to flat and use an MXR M-108 10 band eq in the loop instead.

I finally got my MXR 10 band eq. What's really different about this is that the unit checks for clipping. I guess the BOSS 6 band did this automatically? It seems like I have to lower the gain knob alot in order to have it not make a "choppy" noise indicating that there is clipping.

any advice?

What about the Maxon GE601 EQ Pedal. I heard it is a little more transparent than the MXR EQ's. What other EQ's are good other than the MXR?

Kerry King 10 band EQ user here. I put it in the loop and usually leave it on. I'm sure I can get many different tones using that pedal. I just need more time!! :?

Latest posts

Back