# What do you like about your Lonestar Classic ? #

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the variety. I can dial up seemingly endless tones, from pristine cleans, to high gain clasic rock tones, and every color of dirt inbetween. I like the ability to swap tube types. I like the headroom the 100 watts affords me, but I hate how loud this amp has to be turned up to sound truely stunning. (I have the old 50/100 version).

I dig that it is built in the USA, and although it is heavy as the heart of a widow, it is built like a tank and can take some roughen up.

I also like it when I get a buddy to plug in, and the look on their faces as they crank it up and experiance it first hand. It is an awsome amplifier.

i like the fact that it has good cleans and the lead channel is so smooth. no spiky highs.

It's kind of a long list. Absolutely amazing clean tone. Extremely versatile. Responsive and transparent. No-nonsense. Configurable tube settings. Beautiful reverb. Quiet. Tough. Every setting sounds good and usable. Simple layout. Effects friendly. Lotsa oomph. Nice power & output options. Drive channel is great as-is, heavenly after the Reeder mod.

It definitely lights up when you push the volume a bit, but if you use Yellow Jackets and/or 6V6s and/or the Tweed power setting, it sounds pretty amazing at bedroom levels too (esp. w/drive channel mod).

It's also the best amp that I have had as far as always being heard in the mix. Terrific presence and clarity. It really owns its part of any room.

I heard it said on this forum that it's the best amp to be had for under 2 grand. Well I can't vouch for anything over that price but it's so versatile that I haven't used all the settings yet and I've had mine for years. This is the last major amp I'm going to own.

Know what I like?
I like to have it on Ch2 with pretty fair amount of gain, hit my Tube Screamer, and turn the volume knob up on my axe...hear a tiny amount of feedback, then BLAZE AWAY!!!
SICKNESS!!!!!

(This is even better after doing the Reeder mod!!!)

Thanks...

I loved the clean channel but wasn't nuts about the drive channel. I'll have a read.

zappaslaughter said:
The drive channel works great, just turn the **** muddy bass down.
Yeah, even though I modded mine, I do think the stock Ch2 gets a bad rap unnecessarily. There were things about it that I miss with the mod, actually, though I can come pretty close to getting that back with the new config if I try. It does that Stones thing really nicely, for one thing. It's creamy.

One big difference between pre- and post-mod Ch2 is that the stock channel really seemed to need a lot more volume to get anywhere close to what it's capable of, whereas after the mod it opens up much earlier. It still improves dramatically as the volume goes up, but it doesn't require serious volume to get out of the gates. To my ears, anyway.

I bought mine because it reminded me of a Dumble I got to mess around with in the studio I worked when I was trying to be a "Rock Star". Not a real Metal amp, but not a Twin or Super, but something that sounded better when it got louder. I did try a bunch-o-amps out before I got this one, and was really leaning on the Route 66, but I like the fact I could get some good gain sounds with just a cord (no pedals) and a 5 year warranty.

fishyfishfish said:
I bought mine because it reminded me of a Dumble I got to mess around with in the studio I worked when I was trying to be a "Rock Star".
So was that at Ultrasound? That sounds FUN. 8)
Also, very gratifying to hear that an LSC reminded you of a Dumble...

i've had some great bf fenders a couple of hand wound vintage marshalls. plenty of boutiquey amps from Fushs to Victoria to Bruno to Two rock even a recent carol ann and honestly with a real good set of el 34 the LSC is still closest to getting that tone in my head. Think Jimi's "little wing" meets Mick Taylor's (Stones) "can you hear me knockin"

The LSC it really dosn't get much better

Pageburst said:
next step is ti try some el84s with yjackets

there's that option too

Yes. A pair of those combined with either a pair of good quality 6L6s or 6V6s
is
the
bomb.

I have loved my LSC from day one. It shines with 6L6s, EL34s as well as yellow-jackets (see my past post on this)...however...nothing prepared me for the angelic bubby goodness of 6v6s. Mon Dieu! If any of you want that chewy, slightly compressed grunt at moderate volume levels but are not able to achieve it stock...you must do this. I've spent almost no time with my Bivalve or LSS the last few months since swapping for 6v6s, which is about the ultimate compliment.

More layers than an onion, this LSC.

Back