What do you guys think of V30's in Mesa's 4 x 12 cabs?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbf

Reaction score
I've got a Mesa traditional 4 x 12 w/V 30's lined up for purchase possibly this weekend and I'm very anxious to hear your thoughts on the speakers. From what I've heard on demo vids they sound pretty decent but I haven't heard em' in a Mesa cab. Lots of reviews say they are bright, brash, and ice picky. In a Fender amp I can see that. But in a well built, close-back cab? How do they compare to the Black Shadow...brighter, warmer, fatter, thinner, etc? I'm looking for that classic rock sound....not the thin, brash British sound but rather the warm, rich, fat American rock sound.

Thank you in advance!!!!!!

When mic'd they sound a lot like a tighter sounding G12M Greenback.

They have a lot of midrange with a rolled off top and bottom end. They're tight, aggressive, and loud as hell. The upper midrange spike is more obvious with some amps than with others.

They compliment the Rectifier's tone really well, however I'm not a fan of how the Mark III, Mark V, or pretty much any clean amp sounds through them.

screamingdaisy said:
When mic'd they sound a lot like a tighter sounding G12M Greenback.

They have a lot of midrange with a rolled off top and bottom end. They're tight, aggressive, and loud as hell. The upper midrange spike is more obvious with some amps than with others.

They compliment the Rectifier's tone really well, however I'm not a fan of how the Mark III, Mark V, or pretty much any clean amp sounds through them.

+1
I have a 2 x 12 custom made closed cab with V30's.
Much prefer it to the C90 Black Shadow speaker in the 5:50 combo.
Not even a little bit ice picky - Smooth, full, tight
I'm sure the Mesa 4 x 12 would be great :mrgreen:

For what it's worth, I played one with an Electodyne head. definately one of the best rock tones I have heard. Huge sounding and very warm, but had plenty of pressence. Strangely it is the best and most interesting clean sound I have experienced. It did not have the clarity of a MK V with the C90, particularily in the top end though.

I'm not sure how much was Electrodyne and how much is the cab, but I played an Express 5:25 (1x12 V30)for comparison at the same time and it sounded gritty and thin with to much mids. The bass sounded unatural, but Open vs closed probably not really fair.

I have the Mesa Stiletto Traditional 4x12 cab that you are interested in buying. I love it! In your post you did not mention the primary amp you are planning to drive the 4x12 cab with. With my 5:50 head the Traditional 4x12 cab is full, smooth and warm sounding. It can span the spectrum by delivering incredible cleans without being too bright and when pushed can shake the house off the foundation! I also feel you can use more extreme amp settings and still obtain favorable tones. I really look forward to reading your thoughts after you play through that cab.

Tubenator, I plan to use my 5:50 combo as the head. I'm anxious to hear it and will definitely report back.

Thanks again, guys, I really appreciate everyone's info.

Latest posts

Back