What do you do to keep your pick from slipping?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The picks I use are the only ones I am comfortable using. Standard picks are too big and Jazz picks are too small.

Big Stubby #3. Nice feel. They have a circular depression in the center of the pick that is roughed up inside. I can get all kinds of tone from these.

Also, just picked up some wooden picks from Pick Boy. They are a bit thicker than the Stubbies and have a curved groove on one side and a depression of the other. Works very well I think. You get a more mellow sound from them.

One of the guitarists from a former band called Big Wreck used to bend his picks. He was a rhythm guitarist, so depending on whether or not you play lead this method could also help you.

Turumbar82 said:
I was just wondering what other people do to keep their picks from slipping when they get sweaty from playing?

I've put scratches in my pick with a knife and that worked well and I've also took a lighter to it and that really makes it bumpy but almost too much.

I've heard of people using Gorilla Snot for rubbing into picks to make them tacky.

What do you guys use?

dunlop stubby :wink:

Dunlop Stubbys 1mm.

I went to the my local store and bought a large selection of all different kinds of picks to see if anything felt better than the standard fender picks I was using.

Dunlop Stubbys won by a mile. Wont use anything else now.

The best way to give your finger a grip "like a vis grip" streanth,is to fix your car daily with bare hands for couple of months,and I can promise you never ever any type of pick will slip out of your fingers.good luck :D

na said:
The best way to give your finger a grip "like a vis grip" streanth,is to fix your car daily with bare hands for couple of months,and I can promise you never ever any type of pick will slip out of your fingers.good luck :D

laying rooftiles with bare hands is a great recommendation too :lol:

joepius said:
na said:
The best way to give your finger a grip "like a vise grip" strength, is to fix your car daily with bare hands for couple of months, and I can promise you never ever any type of pick will slip out of your fingers.good luck :D

laying rooftiles with bare hands is a great recommendation too :lol:

Brain surgery works good, too.
'Course, my little brother was never quite the same afterwards...

All this trouble over picks, the solution is so simple...a wee bit of gaffers tape cut to a size a fraction smaller than the pick of your choice, rolled into a small tubular shape then applied gently between the thumb and pick...Presto!! :wink: :roll:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gorilla-Snot.gc

This stuff way better than anything else.

I need to use my left hand to take the pick out of my right......

I am still on the first one I bought in 1999

I love the JD Jazz III's
( need to try the Ultex).

I found that I would toss them in my mouth when I was finger picking and unknowingly would bite down on them while playing. I soon noticed the picks were so durable that rather than tearing up the pick, it gave them a great texture. I now 'break them in' a bit and rarely ever drop one. I actually still have the first one I discovered this on from back around 1985. It's my primary pick on my #1 guitar. I've dressed the point a couple of times, but it's got Mojo....

I have two spares that live under my pick guard. 8)
They are always waiting in the wings, but never see much play time. :(

Latest posts

Back