What Chorus Pedal do you guys use?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most boutique chorus's are probobly based on the small clone or boss CE-2 anyway
pokerrules47 said:
Not being a fan of "bootique" pedals I go with the old standby EHX small clone, however, I have rented a nova system and I really dig the chorus in it. Too bad it doesn't have a loop.

Mike

I have a ModFactor that I really like. Bought it for the chorus, but use tremolo and phaser just as much.

I haven't tried the boutique chorus pedals, not worth it, and I decided to switch to Pedalhacker modded flanger.... but the best chorus pedal I ever used was the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus.

I think the best chorus fx are the ones built in to the amps. Best one I heard was in a little Traynor Reverb Mate 40. Still under $200 bucks I believe....less than some of those pedals.

I use my BOSS ce-2 mij, i got it for 5 bucks at a yard sale in 1998
gives me a killer clean tone simillar to metallica with my Carvin mts

Best ones I've tried were the MIJ Boss CE-2, Fulltone Choralflange, and BYOC chorus. The Analogman was a little too thick for me...I'm more of a subtle shimmer chorus user.

I gotta say, I've been a Digitech hater for as long as I can remember. But I put the hardwire chorus against a H2O and a electro harmonix chorus, and it was a tough choice but the Digitech won out. It was the only one that was completely transparent compared to the others. The H2O was excellent, but it colored my sound and added a little noise as any analog pedal will do.

If you want a chorus and a delay, you want the H2O. Since I already have a nova delay, it was an easy choice to go with the hardwire. The H2O also doesn't really back of the blend very well, and I really just wanted a slight coloring to my sound, not a full blown trippy thing. The Hardwire will do that and everywhere in between, but can back off very nicely to give a light chorus (try the modern setting).

Also, try the chorus on an Alesis Quadraverb. I was blown away by that too for a piece of gear that was released when I was about 5 years old haha.

I have two different chorus pedals that I really like for different applications.

First is the classic TC SCF. The SCF is more of a high-tech chorus so it's not really intended to color the tone like an old Boss CE-1. It's got such good bandwidth on its response that you can use the pedal with acoustic guitars. In fact, I first got that tip from Preston Reed. If you are trying to think of how it might sound, think of maybe Eric Johnson's sort of clean/chorused tones. It's really a hi-fi sort of unit. In addition to chorusing, it also does flanging and pitch modulation. So while there are definitely less expensive chorus pedals, this one gives you a lot of options in one pedal. It really works well in an effects loop but you can use it in front of an amp, too.

The second is now my favorite chorus-type pedal. The pedal is the Martini from Tortuga Effects. This is an AMAZING pedal! Like most of Matt's pedals, the Tortuga is really two pedals in one. In the case of the Martini, the first channel is straight chorus while the second "channel" can be toggled between chorus and vibrato modes. The pedal is all analog, so it's got the lush sort of CE-1 sound in chorus mode. Switched to the vibrato ("shaken") mode on the other channel and you get thick, swirly effects. As for using it with distortion, I must admit that since I've had mine, I've only used it straight into an RJS 6850 (a 50-watt Marshall plexi-type amp) and it's really cool and works well with a dimed plexi. The vibrato mode can get you into that kind of Hendrix-y sort of swirl. I can't recommend this pedal enough!

You can check out the Martini here and also find a really great demo video of it: http://www.tortugaeffects.com/Martini.html

Latest posts

Back