what characteristics will change with doug's retubing? dual

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsideexperiment

Reaction score
hey, i've heard good things about doug's tubes..i use diode mode so i don't think i need to switch my mesa 6l6s, but i do want to change the preamp tubes. Has anyone switched preamp tubes via doug's store? and what different tone characteristics can i expect to hear? do you guys recommend the tube switch?[/b]

Is this the guy that has like three levels..??? price can go all the way up too $100.00 for just ONE tube :shock: .. ie:12AX7..?????

just wondering is all..?? :?: :roll:

Rex

kb7010 said:
Is this the guy that has like three levels..??? price can go all the way up too $100.00 for just ONE tube :shock: .. ie:12AX7..?????

just wondering is all..?? :?: :roll:

Rex

Doug has a tube "kit" made up of a Tung-Sol and Mullard reissue, a Penta 12AX7, a Shuguang 12AX7 and a Sovtek LPS.

Before entering the NOS world, I had all of these tubes in my amp in the order Doug suggested. I've heard he recommends this setup simply because of the "diversity" of the different tubes.

Personally, I hated the setup. The Tung-Sol in V1 put annoying highs into my tone and I would never want to have one of these reissues in it again. The Sovtek LPS is a great tube, by modern production standards. Sounds very good in V3 and V5 of my amp. Not quite as good as the NOS tubes I've got, but not bad.

If you want a killer setup, try out an old RCA 12AX7a in V1. You can't go wrong! They're under $30 on eBay.

well i'm glad i got some feedback on doug's preamp kit....anyone else have a different take on the preamp kit?...

i play a lot of metal, i'd like to experiment with getting a little more gain and clarity from my two channel dual rec and at the same time improved my cleans!

any other recommendations?

Back