What can I do with this Black Shadow Speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markchatwin

Reaction score
I recently bought a well-cared speaker that says, "Black Shadow - Made exclusively for Mesa Boogie By Electro-Voice" (Type EVM, 200 Watts). I got it for the purpose of putting it in a cabinet to make an open back 1x12. But is this the same speaker for making a Thiele (it does not say 12L on it) or the one used in the standard Boogie Mark C Combo or the one used in a standard open back 1x12 back in the day?

The 200W Black Shadow speakers are pretty rare. Most of them are 90 watts (usually called a Celestion 90 or C90). I would venture to guess the 200W version was the first replacement for the EVM12L speaker they used to use. It has 200W power handling as well. I bet the 200W Black Shadow sounds much more like an EV than the newer C90s and even the newer ones are not far off. I A/Bed a C90 and an EV once and the C90 is very very close except it colors the tone slightly. I hope that helps some. I'm sure some real gurus will chime in soon...

Several different types of speakers are labeled "Black Shadow" in mesa amps. Mesa just re-brands them. The V30, C90, and EVM12L are all "Black Shadows" when in a mesa amp. Your speaker is an EVM12L. They are great speakers; very clean sounding. It will sound good in whatever you put it; they were an option for combos and cabs from mesa. I'd put in your 1X12 and see if you like it.

Boltino said:
Several different types of speakers are labeled "Black Shadow" in mesa amps. Mesa just re-brands them. The V30, C90, and EVM12L are all "Black Shadows" when in a mesa amp. Your speaker is an EVM12L. They are great speakers; very clean sounding. It will sound good in whatever you put it; they were an option for combos and cabs from mesa. I'd put in your 1X12 and see if you like it.

I don't think I totally agree. To call a Celestion Vintage 30 (V30) a Black Shadow would not be accurate. A C90 is labeled 'Black Shadow' and is the only real Black Shadow as far as I know. I'm pretty sure there was a 200 watt version of the 'Black Shadow' that was not made by EV.

MusicManJP6 said:
Boltino said:

I don't think I totally agree. To call a Celestion Vintage 30 (V30) a Black Shadow would not be accurate. A C90 is labeled 'Black Shadow' and is the only real Black Shadow as far as I know. I'm pretty sure there was a 200 watt version of the 'Black Shadow' that was not made by EV.

The OP states his speaker says "Type EVM" on it. That makes it an EVM12L. I've seen V30s, C90s and EVMs labeled "Black Shadow."

Thanks for clearing this up, gts! I didn't think a V30 was ever called a Black Shadow... but then again i didn't think a 'true' Black Shadow could be anything other than a Celestion 90 either.

Sounds like you got a real EV on your hands, mark!

gts said:
MusicManJP6 said:

Mesa labelled many speakers Black Shadow. Although I have never seen a V30 in one of their cabs labelled this way.

Yes the EVM 12L was labelled a Black Shadow as well as the 90 watt Celestion C90, 150 watt Eminence MS-12 and 50 watt Eminence VS-12 (well actually the VS-12 was labelled "Vintage Shadow"), in fact the catalog from 1984 (which I have in front of me) lists a JBL "Black Shadow" speaker as well.

I don't know of any other 200 watt speaker labelled a Black Shadow other than the EVM 12L. However beside the 12" there were also a 200 watt 10" and 200 watt 15" EVM speakers and a 400 watt 15" EVM!! All labelled Mesa Black Shadow.

I could be mistaken on the V30.

Bottom line, the OP has an EVM12L and they are great speakers!

JimAnsell said:
MusicManJP6 said:
The 200W Black Shadow speakers are pretty rare.
far from it.
they were stock in mark series combos for years. its just an ev12l with a label on it.

:oops: I should do a bit of research as I thought I knew a thing or two about these speakers! Thanks for the correction.

gts said:
Quite True. But they weren't stock, at least not when I bought my MKIII or on the MkIIC price list from '84. The Eminence MS-12 was the stock speaker in the Mark II-III series combos, the EV was an upgrade. But so many chose the EV upgrade; it's almost as if they were the stock speaker.

Yep, back then it was a US$50 option for the EVM-12L upgrade. Otherwise, the stock 12" speaker was the Eminence MS-12 (rated at 150W).

gts said:
In general there seems to be more unlabelled EV 12L's available out there than those with the Mesa Black Shadow label/ sticker on them. Fwiw those with the label on them seem to run about $25-50 more on ebay than those without. Not sure why....???

I venture to guess the possiblity that someone in the market (either buying or selling) might think (or would like to believe) that the labelled ones were custom-tweaked by EV for Boogie amps? :twisted:

Well I was a buyer who believed the Black Shadow EV was tweaked and offers superior or some kind of rare quality. I also paid too much for it. Upon further review of the bidding contest on this item (EBAY) it looks like two bidders who bid more than 50% of the time with the seller were in the hunt. So yes I was probably dooped - I mean I'll get the speaker because the seller has tons of positive feedback - but he probably shilled me with his two buddies.

There is currently one just listed on EBAY for $215 start price and $265 Buy It. My guess is they saw how much I paid and think they'll get in that range.

My guess for the higher pricepoint for the Black Shadow is to make a period correct MarK II or III one would need this exact speaker (yes the extra Black Label)...

markchatwin said:
Well I was a buyer who believed the Black Shadow EV was tweaked and offers superior or some kind of rare quality. I also paid too much for it. Upon further review of the bidding contest on this item (EBAY) it looks like two bidders who bid more than 50% of the time with the seller were in the hunt. So yes I was probably dooped - I mean I'll get the speaker because the seller has tons of positive feedback - but he probably shilled me with his two buddies.

There is currently one just listed on EBAY for $215 start price and $265 Buy It. My guess is they saw how much I paid and think they'll get in that range.

My guess for the higher pricepoint for the Black Shadow is to make a period correct MarK II or III one would need this exact speaker (yes the extra Black Label)...

Sorry to hear that, that's a bummer. But, what's done is done and you came out of it with an awesome speaker (better than overpaying for a piece of crap, right?).

Throw it in your open back 1X12 and rattle the walls; the mighty EVM12L can handle it!

a mark4 only has "that" sound when it has the ev in the celestions and the eminence once fall eay short of the mark especially on the clean sounds.

OK. Now I'm confused. I have some Black shadow vintage speakers that are rated at 50w. I also have a black shadow that is rated 150 watts. Who makes these?

My understanding is that Black Shadow is only the sticker that is placed on the back of the speaker by Mesa. It can be, based on the type of cabinet and date produced, be a Celestion, Emminence (not sure) or EV. These are companies that produce speakers for Mesa...

gts said:
lingering_lead said:
OK. Now I'm confused. I have some Black shadow vintage speakers that are rated at 50w. I also have a black shadow that is rated 150 watts. Who makes these?
50 Watt = made by Eminence for Mesa and labelled "Vintage Black Shadow"

150 Watt = also an Eminence speaker, made for Mesa and labelled "Black Shadow" with a sketch of a knight riding a horse on the magnets logo/ sticker....

Thanks! I always assumed the 150 was an EV.

I like the sound of the 150. I'm not sure about the 50's becuase they're in a 4x12 with 90C's. I would like to replace the 50's with EV's or JBL's one day.

Latest posts

Back