What can a Mark IV do?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On second thought, if my Mark IV cooked for me I wouldn't need my ol' lady, huh? :lol: Where can I buy that mod.... :D

disassembled said:
The Mark IV has been around since what 91? and has had 1 change.

That has nothing to do with the fact that the RKII is a far more versatile amp than the Mark IV. It's not even close. The progressive linkage and Lone Star cleans separates RKII from anything else Mesa has built thus far.

disassembled said:
Chasing the Recto series is like chasing computer technology

That's a bad analogy. Couldn't be farther from accurate.

Accurate? Well a MK4 can do clean to vintage to modern and between very well.

A recto does modern to clean well with emphasis on the modern tone.

Comparing a mark with a recto is like comparing a father to a son, one has the tone and the latter sees how far he can deviate from it to create something fresh.

Both sound good and are versatile, and one day rectos will be considered vintage ... but marks will be priceless. imho, OC.

The Mark IV could remain as it is and never ever need anything else and become a true classic. To be honest I cannot think of anything that would really make enough of a difference to buy a new model.

The Rectifier series is constantly evolving and getting better for it. Someday the Rectifier line will get to the point that it there is no reason to improve it any longer. At that point it will have achieved what the Mark IV did with the Mark Series. Due to the fact that the modern sound is constantly evolving I expect the Rectifier to change until it can no longer be tailored to the modern sound. At that point I do believe that there will be a new kid on the block and he will again change the face of music as the Marks and Rectifiers did before him.

Russ said:
The Mark IV could remain as it is and never ever need anything else and become a true classic. To be honest I cannot think of anything that would really make enough of a difference to buy a new model.

The Rectifier series is constantly evolving and getting better for it. Someday the Rectifier line will get to the point that it there is no reason to improve it any longer. At that point it will have achieved what the Mark IV did with the Mark Series. Due to the fact that the modern sound is constantly evolving I expect the Rectifier to change until it can no longer be tailored to the modern sound. At that point I do believe that there will be a new kid on the block and he will again change the face of music as the Marks and Rectifiers did before him.

Very true, look how many revisions the Marks have had in their history. I'm willing to bet the next amp to redefine music will probably once again be a boogie :D

That would be cool but how many hits can a guy have?

There are many out there trying to do the exact same thing. Wouldn't it be funny if the next amp craze was the micro amps? Could you imagine seeing guys on stage with a little 12ax7 powered tube amp? You would almost miss seeing it on stage on some stages.

MesaDCLP said:
Accurate? Well a MK4 can do clean to vintage to modern and between very well.

Well I don't know about the "between" part. MANY people hate the R2 on that amp. I've owned two Mark IVs so I can speak from experience.

MesaDCLP said:
A recto does modern to clean well with emphasis on the modern tone.

You need to slow down when you read my posts. I'm talking about the Road King II. Not any other amp. Not your average recto. Just the most versatile amp Boogie has ever made.

MesaDCLP said:
Comparing a mark with a recto is like comparing a father to a son, one has the tone and the latter sees how far he can deviate from it to create something fresh.

Another ridiculous analogy. You guys really need to stop trying to say clever crap.

Russ said:

Remain as it is? It is the Mark IV (Four, after the III, the II and the I). It has changed plenty.

Russ said:
The Rectifier series is constantly evolving and getting better for it. Someday the Rectifier line will get to the point that it there is no reason to improve it any longer. At that point it will have achieved what the Mark IV did with the Mark Series.

Heh? Although I'm only speaking of the RKII, if you consider every rectifier there is, Mesa has sold more of them than the Mark series. Guaranteed.

Platypus said:
Very true, look how many revisions the Marks have had in their history. I'm willing to bet the next amp to redefine music will probably once again be a boogie :D

Yes. A ton. Four Mark series and each with revisions. This color stripe, that color stripe, Rev. A, Rev. B. No one even knows what half the differences even are.

CudBucket said:
Platypus said:

Yes. A ton. Four Mark series and each with revisions. This color stripe, that color stripe, Rev. A, Rev. B. No one even knows what half the differences even are.

I bet boogiebabies does! :D :D

Cud,

I think it's time to play your RKII again so you can calm down. Sheesh, these are just everyone's opinions and you speak as if yours are facts.

Sorry, but I just don't like the Recto series as much as the Mark series. Like I said earlier they both have their places but one has been proven over time. Maybe in 10 years if the RKII doesn't have any changes and people are still buying them we can say it has stood the test of time. I would like to know how many revisions were done to the RK series since its inception.

The most versatile Boogie in your opinion is the RKII but that isn't everyone's opinion so just relax and play nice with everyone else or you will be in time out!

Do you work for the Mesa Roadking PR department?

Greg

I have to agree that the RKII is the most flexible Mesa ever, and I have both a Mark IV and RKII. I love both and both amps are stellar, but the scope of tone is very different between them.

...If I could only have one amp in life - it would be the RKII, but my tastes do lean more to the Recto side than the Mark side.

You may want to checkout a used Nomad if you can find one. It is almost as versatile but does not have Class A or simulclass. The 100W model has a 50W switch. I have not played a Mark series, only a Nomad and I love mine. With any combo, get a good cab to put under it for that real bottom chug chug sound.

Back