what cables is everyone using??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kissing said:
any one using whirlwind or planet waves cables? any coments?

I've used whirlwing for the longest of time for live gigs. Solid and never failed on me. I think they were one of the better cables back in the day before the 'boutique' stuffs. I don't know about their current stuffs.
However once I got the Mogami 2524 and compared them side by side, the Mogami is clearly night and day better. The Whirlwind sounds duller and does not shield interference all that well. In the same environment condition, the mogami is dead quiet.

kissing said:
any one using whirlwind or planet waves cables? any coments?

Im running nearly all planet waves cables and they are amazing i just got 3 custom series speaker cables they made a dramatic difference compared to my old cables, theyre really thick heavy duty big connectors. really well made. they tightened up everything and added sum more clarity to the sound. I also got their pedalboard kit i havent gotten around to redoing everything but having solderless cables are always a plus. ive been using the circuit breaker cable out front and its really convenient for me because i run emgs and dont like to waste the battery ... but yeah on top of it being well made they have a lifetime warranty on everything cant go wrong with that

i heard from a local guy that whirlwind uses mogami cables? is that true?
hey nitrous2400, i was also looking at planet waves pedal cable kits, are they expensive?

kissing said:

This is partly true, whirlwind makes one cable, part # W2552 , which uses (surprise) Mogami 2552 cable. This is a microphone cable, and the only cable whirlwind makes that uses any mogami cable.

kissing said:
hey nitrous2400, i was also looking at planet waves pedal cable kits, are they expensive?

i was kinda impatient and didnt shop around, samash had it for $59.99 but had to order it, but GC had it in stock for like $75. GC matched Samashs price, i forget what it came out to with tax cuz i bought the speaker cables too :( but yeah it seems cool, i trust pwaves stuff... im actually using it to clean up my rack and tame sum longer cables but itll do pedalboards or anyhthing you like

Planet Waves FTW! I just got the ones you can push a button to cut the signal, pretty neat trick if you ask me. :lol:

Finally upgraded all my instrument cable!

I finally got a Voodoo Amp Selector A/B/C/D switch today at Mesa/Boogie Hollywood. They have this neat "Quantum Audio" brand cable with Mesa/Boogie branding on it. They're supposedly very good cable. Anyway, they were on sale (and, there aren't many "sales" held at Mesa/Boogie)! All my speaker cable is from Sam Ash Hollywood (they stock way more types of cable than Guitar Center Hollywood).

• x1 15' Planet Waves 16 AWG instrument cable w/built-in switch.
• x2 6' Quantum Audio (Mesa/Boogie) 16AWG instrument cables.
• x2 15' Quantum Audio (Mesa/Boogie) 16AWG instrument cables.
• x2 20' Horizon Commercial Series 12AWG speaker cable.
• x2 50' Horizon Commercial Series 12AWG speaker cable.

Wel I use Dimarzio, they last for years, Also planetwaves are quite standard for a lot of players, but I dont like them at all...

Van Den Hul "the integration hybrid", The best cable on the world!!
dynamics, clarity !!!

ngmusic said:
dynamics, clarity !!!

... not to mention they will break your bank. Well, mine anyway. :cry:

ngmusic said:
dynamics, clarity !!!

They're good, no doubt. But I run into a juice vs. squeeze dilemma...

I am running from amp to midi switching unit and amp to guitar "The Melody" by Evidence Audio, and for all my pedals I am running The Monorail also by Evidence Audio. Best cables I have ever played.

what do you gusy think about this.... mogami 2524 cables, g&h ends like i was going to do but they custom build it to the lengths you need. this definitely appeals to my lazy side as i get the cable i want with the lengths i wnat without having the hassle of soldering myself. of course it will cost me more but its definitely soemthing im considering. what do you guys think? smart (dont have to worry about soldering and quality might be better since the person assembling these is more experienced)? stupid (waste of money for something i can do myself with some time and sweat)?

It's like getting your oil changed. Sure you CAN do it yourself. But unless you really enjoy it - it's worth the 18 bucks to let Jiffy Lube change it for you.

;)

so i did the calculations and between buying the mogami cbale bulk at .73 a ft, buying all the soldering tools (gun, helping hands, etc), buying the g&h plugs, and buying the cardas solder bulk i'd be looking at $160 with the opportunity to build whatever i wanted and some to spare. buying what i need in terms of quantity, length and the plug config, i'd pay $154. so its cheaper because i'm buying just what i need where as doing it myself i'd have a lot of extra wire and solder and the tools to make more if i ever bought more plugs. i guess both have their benefits.

jdurso said:
what do you gusy think about this.... mogami 2524 cables, g&h ends like i was going to do but they custom build it to the lengths you need. this definitely appeals to my lazy side as i get the cable i want with the lengths i wnat without having the hassle of soldering myself. of course it will cost me more but its definitely soemthing im considering. what do you guys think? smart (dont have to worry about soldering and quality might be better since the person assembling these is more experienced)? stupid (waste of money for something i can do myself with some time and sweat)?

Absolutely go for it. I plunked down a bunch of bucks on all new mogami cables after reading this thread. All in all quieter...better tone...I was surprised.

After seeing how nice the soldering joints and stuff...the cutting back...the perfect length...who needs the aggravation doing it yourself. Plus how much do you really save?

Plus it's always fun buying stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

camsna said:
It's like getting your oil changed. Sure you CAN do it yourself. But unless you really enjoy it - it's worth the 18 bucks to let Jiffy Lube change it for you.

;)

agree with the sentiment...but Jiffy Lube = bad
I go to the dealership nowadays...not much difference in price.
Heck at my place they wash the car even. Have computer service while you wait.

Latest posts

Back