What Cabinets are you guys using...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbukai

Reaction score
Hi,
I just got my 2:100 power amp and the recording rectifier preamp, and I'm looking for 2 Cabinets, any suggestion?
Thank you
Simon

It really depends on what you want, if you're looking for that nice low end get the oversized Recto cabs, I'm have 2 Marshall 4/12 cabs with vin 30's that work great for me, if I would have had the extra $400 I would have got the Boogie's though. The vintage 30's seem to have more low end crunch which I love!!

Running 3 Marshall 4X12's

2 of them have the stock Celestion75's

1 of them has the 75's in an X-pattern with V30's

Yes, if I could afford all Mesa Cabs, that'd be cool, but it still sounds cool to me.

I am running a stock (Celestion 75s) Marshall 1936 stereo 2x12 closed back cab and it gets better and better as I use it. It took some time to break the 75s in but now that they are this cab screams and the bass blooms out of it. I don't see myself ever replacing it. I would love to grab another some day.

bilbal

I use the Marshall 1966 (similar to the current 2061CX) 2x12 and 1931 1x12. The Marshall 66 looks like a small 1960 and it sounds like one too; lots of thump in this one. The 1931 is an MDF 1/3 open-back affair that does its job well as a clean, Fendery cab.

I sold my Marshall cabs (one with V30's, one with Greenbacks) when I got my Mesa stuff (Quad 50/50), and heard comparisons with the Marshalls and a 212 Engl. I got the latter to replace my greenback cab, and then the V30 cab sounded really dull and fizzy next to the Engl.
After some searching, I got a Kool and Elfring 412 V30/G12H30, which is comparable to an Avatar cab.
I feel this setup much better suits and projects the quality of the Mesa amps than the Marshall cabs.

I've also got a Rivera C210 coming in; I used to have one, and used to love it. Let's see how it works with the Mesa

Jan

For small shows and practice, I use an earcandy buzzbomb with greenmachine speakers. It's wired up to use stereo left/right from the power amp channels or mono if I want to use either my avatar 2X12 or legacy 4X12 cab.

sbukai said:
How do you compare between the thieles with EVs vs thieles with V30's ?

Anything with EV's = FAIL. They only operate at around 80 watts. They have the potential to peak at 100+ but not consistently. There are MUCH better speakers out there that have a better response, better tone, better efficiency and much lower price tag. There's a reason no one makes cabs with those speakers any more. I'd take a V30 over an EVL any day and in all honesty, there's a handfull of speakers I'd take over a V30 any day.

Never heard a Thiele with a V30. I had one with a C90. Sounded similar to the EV. But the ev is just awesome IMO. Very little breakup and you get to hear whatever you are playing without any coloring IMO.

HamerFan said:
Never heard a Thiele with a V30. I had one with a C90. Sounded similar to the EV. But the ev is just awesome IMO. Very little breakup and you get to hear whatever you are playing without any coloring IMO.

there are at least a dozen speakers that do this at a fraction of the price/weight.

rack.JPG

Lopoline 2x12 with custom mesa sticker :lol: and 2 Celestion t12-100's

Highly recommend the lopo cab. Top notch, comes with removable castors.

FastRedPonyCar said:
Anything with EV's = FAIL. They only operate at around 80 watts. They have the potential to peak at 100+ but not consistently. There are MUCH better speakers out there that have a better response, better tone, better efficiency and much lower price tag.

I thought those EV's were rated at 200W? I've been using three of the EV Thiele cabs (not all at the same time) for years without any issues.

I don't need a lot of heaviness in my sound, and am using a recto recording preamp with a 50/50 currently- I picked up a pair of mesa 1x12 cabinets with the half open back, and they sound outstanding. I've used them a bunch in the studio recently, and they came in handy more than the 4x12 recto cab and marshall 4x12 cab my engineer had available. Bright, sparkly, with lots of definition- I'm using an eventide eclipse effects unit now, and I think the mesa 1x12's help for the articulation of the eventide effects...

tiktok said:
FastRedPonyCar said:
Anything with EV's = FAIL. They only operate at around 80 watts. They have the potential to peak at 100+ but not consistently. There are MUCH better speakers out there that have a better response, better tone, better efficiency and much lower price tag.

I thought those EV's were rated at 200W? I've been using three of the EV Thiele cabs (not all at the same time) for years without any issues.

They have the capability to handle peaks at that wattage but even when being pushed hard at a constant power, they only actually put out 80 watts. They also really don't have the voicing to compliment a guitar. I mean, they don't sound BAD, there just are better speakers for the guitar out there. I've heard several EVL's in different cabs and really never liked any of them. I'd take a V30 over a EV any day.

try Diezel Cabs. I have 2 Boogie 4x12's and 2 Diezel 4x12's The Mesa's tend to lend itself to more of a boomy or heavy bottom tone. The Diezel clean that right up. The tightest bottom ever in the rear loaded Diezel and the front loaded is better for highs and nice cut thru:)

I use the Diezels with my VH4S because the Vh4S is naturally boomy, but I just got a triaxis and building a rack so I will be using the Boogies 4x12's in stereo

Sorry for the big pic
DSC00212.JPG

Latest posts

Back