What brand of preamp tubes was Mesa using in the early 90's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I posted this in the 'Tubes' forum, but thought I might have better luck here since it is directly related to older Mesa amps.

I have a bunch of Mesa branded preamp tubes from old DC's, a Maverick, and a couple of Blue Angels.

Does anyone know what brand these were? Mostly from the early 90's.

My Maverick has what looks to be the original preamp tubes in it and they sound very rich and warm. I've gotten so used to the Russian and Russian II's that I forgot their tubes used to sound good.

Interesting.......
you know, I came across an old "stash" of Mesa 12ax7's that came from my Cal 22+, bought new in '89.
While the ink has mostly faded on some of these, I can tell they are Chinese by the polished clip used as a plate support (I presume) which are very visible.
I would tend to guess they were made in the 'Shauguan'? (pardon my spelling) factory as many are now. Perhaps a different factory, but I have seen other references to that clip which is a trait of the Chinese tubes. :wink:

I had also heard they used Tungsram (Czec.) tubes, but I don't recall where I saw/heard that.
The Tungsrams also came in my Carvin x100b from the early to mid eighties. I still have a couple laying around.... Also the output 6l6's said "Made in Germany". Wish I still had those; but like a big dummy, I tossed them years ago (or was it my ex wife?....might as well blame her anyway :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Good luck on your quest, Obi Wan! 8) :)

Latest posts

Back