What are/were STR 420's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrenaline junkie

Reaction score
I have a quad in one of my amps, but I don't know what they are. They're brown based like Winged C's or The STR 454's are. I think by the looks of them they're probably just a Chinese tube? I like them better than the STR 440's or the 430's.

adrenaline junkie said:
I have a quad in one of my amps, but I don't know what they are. They're brown based like Winged C's or The STR 454's are. I think by the looks of them they're probably just a Chinese tube? I like them better than the STR 440's or the 430's.

Absolutely. They are a superb sounding tube, but are only good for a max of 1 year or 6 months under regular use. I have a quad in my stash, but they are also not built too well either. The glue holding the base always dries up and you end up yanking on the pins to remove them. I only use them in the MK IV and Dual Rectifier as they don't last long at high plate voltages.

Boogiebabies said:
adrenaline junkie said:

Absolutely. They are a superb sounding tube, but are only good for a max of 1 year or 6 months under regular use. I have a quad in my stash, but they are also not built too well either. The glue holding the base always dries up and you end up yanking on the pins to remove them. I only use them in the MK IV and Dual Rectifier as they don't last long at high plate voltages.

I guess I better pull them out of the MkIIC then. :x I really hate too, they sound really good in it. I don't really like the 440's in it very well, they sound kinda one dimensional. Mike B told me they were great tubes when he put them in it, but I'm not all that fond of them. I think I'm going to try to find some 454's.

I'd noticed that about the bases, one of the tubes was a little loose in the base, so I put some Gorilla snot on it to hold it from wiggling around. :oops:

I used some 420's for a couple of years, on and off. Put them in the C+ for a couple of practices. It ate them like a fat kid at a buffet. Time for new tubes!

I have a sextet of 454's (svetlanas).....not too bad....deffinately better than the Ruby 440's but no where near as good as TAD 6L6GC STR's IMO.

see I didn't care for the TADs in my C+, and the 420s were OK. They were a bit harsh for me. I ended up settling with the 440s..I eventually want to try svetlanias..because I am pretty sure that is what originally came with the mark IIs. Now the thing is loaded with Mullards besides the 2 6L6s.

What about STR 415s
7ff4_3.JPG

I just bought 2 Mesa 420's of off Ebay for $32 delivered, I plan on putting them in the Mark III squeezed between the EL34's.

Latest posts

Back