What amp should i buy??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakkspider

Reaction score
I'm looking for an amp with the warm tone of the class A but capable of deliver High gain (and i mean real high gain) crushing distortion.

Any suggestions?? :oops:

Does your "crushing distortion" imply you want volume?
With a single channel Class A amp, you can't really have both.

Class A's are usually found under 30W & quite typically around 5-18W.
They are ABSOLUTELY the best for warmth & some sport decent distortion but at lower volumes than higher powered AB amps.

I recommend you look into an Orange Tiny Terror 7W/15w. Spendy but well worth the cash. Surprisingly to most folks, if you couple it with a 4x12, you can start walking over a drummer. You can even gig with it, just not larger venues.

Couple a Tiny Terror with a strong, clean Fender amp & you'll enjoy having the best of both worlds. Remember, tube amps by nature sound warmer than solid-state. Maybe you don't need a true Class A when the right distortion pedal in front of a Fender Deluxe will suffice.

Personally, I have a Tiny Terror for grit, & a 5W Blackheart Little Giant for my cleans. I switch between them with a Radial Engineering Tonebone Headbone VT switcher & it sounds like I have one 2-channel amp.. quite versatile.

Its hard to beat the tone from a Class A but you just won't see the power.

DeFrag said:
Its hard to beat the tone from a Class A but you just won't see the power.

Yes, I'm looking for the class A tone, you know warm,creamy, full and roundend sound for leads.

I had a Roadster, awesome amp! but not class A tone obviously. :(

Ok i'll change my question. :oops:

I'm looking for smooth,creamy,fat,warm,rich leads, what amp would you suggest? (besides Mark series)

leblanc74 said:
Murphy Slaw said:
You're gonna need 2 amps.

Murph.

please explain for 2 amps...

One amp for cleans, rhythm (head and cab)
one for leads (solos) (another head and cab)

both connected with a A/B switch, that allows you to switch between one amp or the other as when you swithch your pedals on/off.

THD Univalve - 7-15 watts depending on tubes. Pertty loud with my 2x12 Mesa cab loaded with altec 417. Great amp, one that I won't sell.

Bogner Ecstasy 101b, especially with the class A/AB option. IMHO, it covers everything from shimmering Fender like cleans through modern high gaiin, and does it all VERY well. The Bogner Duende is also an awesome 15watter with great cleans, and a really warm, fat, organic sonding distortion.

why no mark? its probably one of the closest to what you are describing.

blakkspider said:
Ok i'll change my question. :oops:

I'm looking for smooth,creamy,fat,warm,rich leads, what amp would you suggest? (besides Mark series)

Get a "D-umble" clone....Ceriatone Overtone Special is amazing especially for "smooth,creamy,fat,warm,rich leads". The clean sound is amazing as well. I have compared it to Blackface Fenders and it is right up there with them. Wont break the bank either...check out www.ceriatone.com

A MKIIc+ would fill that bill as well but as you probably know...they are hard to find. Mine started out as a MKIIc and Mike B made it a +. The lead tone is fantastic but the clean sound improved as well.

I like the Bogner Ecstasy's but the cleans aren't as nice and the price tag is steep IMHO. Killer sounding rhythm and lead tones I must admit. Good luck!

if you dont want to spend a lot of money try a Peavey Valveking. they have this class a/ab knob that colors the tone to sound class A or AB or a mix.

granted....its not true class A, but Valvekings are cheap and easy to come by.

Back