What am I looking for in a triaxis ???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ando

this has all been in good humour. But the main reason for this triaxis gas is that when I'm playing my IV on the lead channel with the graphic eq on, I sometimes find my self wanting more shades of that colour. Less gain, more gain, a different eq setting and such. And after all this discussion I am now completely sold on the triaxis.

Thank you all

Geiri

Having gone from a Tri-2:90 to a Mark IV head I know how hard this choice is. The voicings of either amp (MarkV included) will be most kicka$$. If you are going to be running a lot of MIDI gear and you need 28 presets at the tap of your foot then the tri will be your best bet. If you only need 3 or less footswtchable channels at a time and you're on a budget then the Mark IV is your buddy. I loved my Triaxis setup but I realized that I only used one clean and one dirty channel with no effects so I dumbed it down to a head that has imo the best clean and lead for me.

And since I got the IV I've been gasless for gear and that can't be healthy :wink:

**** funny!

I sometimes find my self wanting more shades of that colour. Less gain, more gain, a different eq setting and such.

Very nice and very clearly said. Thanks. For the less gain / more gain shades of color, this is totally what the Triaxis was built for. You can save a bunch of variations to different MIDI settings and then call them up with the touch of a button. You can also map the gain settings to a MIDI continuous controller (like a volume control pedal) and control it live with your foot. Now that is control!

You should be aware, though, that your desire for "different eq setting and such" might be a little more problematic. Since you've got a Mark IV, you realize that there are two sets of eq controls on your amp: (1) the Treb-Bass-Mid knobs and (2) the graphic EQ. I'm sure that you're also aware that they do RADICALLY different jobs. With the Triaxis, your ability to tweak eq depends upon which eq you're talking about...

With the Triaxis, you have total control over the T-B-M "knobs". You can set them to whatever you want and you can save them as MIDI patches. No problem. Done.

It's the Graphic EQ that might be a problem. To make it one rack space, Mesa had to fudge a bit. The Graphic EQ effect is still in there, but you do not have any sliders to tweak. Instead, Mesa hardwired one particular Graphic EQ curve into the Triaxis. All you can do is bring in more or less of the EQ effect via the "Dynamic Voice" setting.

The "Dynamic Voice" setting is MIDI controllable just like all the other settings, but it is only a "give me more" or "give me less" control. If you want more scoop, increase the Dynamic Voice toward 10. If you want less scoop, dial it back toward zero. Pretty easy...pretty nice...but no control over the EQ shape itself.

Like you, I also own a regular Mark series amp. I find lot of different colors through adjustments on the EQ sliders. If you like to use fiddle with your Graphic EQ as well, you might find the Triaxis implementation to be limiting. Luckily, you can easily fix that situation by putting an outboard graphic EQ unit (or two or three!) in your rack.

Good luck on your quest. It sounds like the rack approach will indeed suit what you want. Definitely look into the continuous controllers, it's a power over your amp that most non-rack guitar players could never imagine.

Chip
Mark IIC(+)
Triaxis/2:90

Hi chip and thank you for tour detailed answer.

I have to confess that I thought the dynamic voice was several different eq settings. Not just more or less scoop. Hmmm maby I need to rethink this. I could get the eq control I crave with a good effects unit and my mk IV. And more or less gain could somewhat be achieved via the volume knob on the guitar.

Let's bring the V head back into the competition.

Choices choices choices. In the Never dying words of freddy mercury and queen. I WANT IT ALL :D

Like I said, the EQ thing can be handled with another piece of outboard gear. I'm sure that there are outboard MIDI controlled EQ units out there. Or, I bet that the multi-effects units have multi-band EQ's in them that'll do the job nicely.

Probably, there are multiple people here on this board who can give recommendations.

Chip

Geiri said:
Hi chip and thank you for tour detailed answer.

I have to confess that I thought the dynamic voice was several different eq settings. Not just more or less scoop. Hmmm maby I need to rethink this. I could get the eq control I crave with a good effects unit and my mk IV. And more or less gain could somewhat be achieved via the volume knob on the guitar.

Let's bring the V head back into the competition.

Choices choices choices. In the Never dying words of freddy mercury and queen. I WANT IT ALL :D

Yes, the dynamic voice is primarily about scoop, but the tone controls on the Tri do most of the work. When you combine the dynamic voice, the tone of the various modes, the presence control and the tone controls, there is a fair bit of tone shaping available. If you need more in an EQ, you can always use EQ in any number of FX processors, or even a MIDI EQ. I use the lowly G major 2 and it has enough tone shaping to add or remove the frequencies you want.

I would have to say that dismissing the Tri on the basis of the dynamic voice would be overreacting. I don't even use the dynamic voice most of the time and I can get lots of great tones. The 5 band EQ on the Mark V isn't exactly rocket science. You could buy a 5 band eq pedal and put it in your loop and have the same EQ power as the Mark V. I see this argument as neither here nor there.

Sorry to keep coming back to this, but you need to go and play through a Triaxis rig to see if you like it. This discussion can't really inform you much further just by talking about it.

Let us know what you think when you test it out. :D

If you want external graphic eq that can have many presets and be midi controlable..I suggest the TC 1128

I used to be like you and I decided to take a weird route. I always love the 3 channel of my dual rectifier for my crunch but I never really found a perfect lead setting on channel 2. I always loved the mark voicing but didn't want to let go my Dual Rectifier. I knew that I could use the power amp the Dual Rectifier for the triaxis. Many good folks help me here and now I have all my possibilties in a simple system. I only need a gxc and ground control pro.

You don't have to buy a power amp but instead keep your mark and use the power amp with the triaxis

@ ando

No worries I'm not dismissing anything. After my last post I realized that I don't really want another set up right now. What I am most interested in is just what you suggested and was my initial idea. To get myself a tri and use it with the mk IV. If then I come to the conclusion that a rack is the way to go then I would proceed to build one. If not I'm pretty sure I could sell the tri with out any significant loss moneywise and try something else.

I'm not ready to shell out for a new V head and still suffer from tri curiosity.

Tell me, how well does the traditional eq on the tri work ? Is it similar to the knobs on a IV ?

Thank you all

Geiri

Geiri said:
Tell me, how well does the traditional eq on the tri work ? Is it similar to the knobs on a IV ?

Being a Mesa product which was modeled on the Mark series of amps, yes, it is very similar in most respects. The dynamic voice control was a compromise due to the limited space to put a graphic EQ on the front panel, plus the inherent archaic nature of having an EQ which is not programmable for each patch. The dynamic voice took into account that the overwhelming use of the 5 band EQ on Mesa amps in to produce a mid-range scoop. If you don't specifically want a midrange scoop, I believe you can find all the tonal variety you could need by using the Treble,Mid,Bass and Presence controls - which are identical in nature to the tone controls on your Mark IV.

I think you have a good strategy in considering buying a Triaxis and plugging it into your Mark IV. If you buy it at a good used price, you won't lose any money even if you decide to sell it. They hold their value very well. To get the most out of the Triaxis, it is really great to use it with a MIDI FX unit and foot controller - then you really see the full potential - but I understand your reluctance to do that.

Best of luck in your quest. :D

This is a great discussion. I still the think the bottom line is, you really need to try the triaxis to make an informed decision. I have both a Mark IV and a Triaxis/290 setup, and they both have merits. When I first tried the Mark IV, I was floored by the sound of the entire amp. Then, a few months later, I tried a Triaxis/290 setup with a G-Force in the loop, i was floored by the sound too!! I think for "colors", the 8 preamp modes (was it 8 or 9, not sure, too early in the morning for me) I feel has enough tonal variation to satisfy your urges. Or, if you settle into one or more preamp modes on the triaxis, the combination of tone controls along with the dynamic voice should be able to give you numerous choices through midi programming.

I've used both amps live on gigs, and they do have their own purposes. The Mark IV, at least in my experience, cut through the mix better within a band setting. The Triaxis, just had a big and full sound, that made heads turn (including musicians), but is a chore to haul around.

You just need to play through a triaxis to clear this within yourself whether you want one or not, we could post and post on this thread, but eventually, you'll be the one living with the amps, and at the end of the day, if the tone pleases you, then you've achieved your objective.

Then there is the poweramp dilemma.

Some say a tri with out a 2:90 is like candy with the wrappings still on. So if I wanted to build a nice little portable rack system it would kinda defeat the purpose if the rack would end up out weighing my combo :(

I probably will end up buying a tri, and then add a g major 2 or a g force and a good foot controller. Then I will probably think, why don't I get myself the end all poweramp the 2:90. When that's in da house I'll be thinking; why the hell am I playing this through my mark IV. I need a really big cab or two. And before I know it I'll have a setup big enough for stadiums in my living room and the wife wondering where the sofa is :wink:

Has anyone used the tri with the dynawatt 20/20 and a small cab ?

I have the 50/50 power amp and I'm happy with the results. I don't play in a band just home stuff and since I just retubed everything it's like...wow who's equipment is this. Then there is the various tubes you can play with. Since I have two little ones It's hard to find the time to really jam.

The Triaxis gives you the broadest spectrum of Mark series tones in one box, specifically when paired with the 2:Ninety power amp, because this SimulClass amp is the same power section as... well, actually the same as TWO Mark IV amps.

It sounds great with a 2:Fifty if the ten pound difference is critical for your rack (it's lighter than the Ninety), but the 2:Ninety's Deep and Modern voicings add huge sonic differences to your tone. The half-power switch is not present on the 2:Fifty, though it was on the old 50/50 power amp.

The 20/20 does not have nearly the same low-end response as any of the other Boogie power amps. It has EL-84 power tubes, which are not characteristic of the trademark 6L6 power amp tone that Boogie is most famous for. It is specifically not recommended for hard rock and metal rigs, and is better suited to pop and jazz playing, and wedding bands where you don't get to rock everyone off the stage.

The Mark V does have a new clean channel, and like all clean channels developed by Boogie since the Lone Star amp, it's superior to the clean tone you'll get from the Triaxis rig, though it still gets fantastic cleans.

Please read my extremely in-depth review of the Triaxis and 2:Ninety for more details. It's a great rig, but not right for everyone.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2009/1209_MesaBoogieTriaxis290.php

Scott

Yeah, the Triaxis rig can be amazing for some, and overkill for others. Certainly a Mark V sounds fantastic. You can't go wrong with that one either if you're a fan of modern high-gain Mark tone.

Well I love my IV and will probably never sell it. But it has it's weak points which have been eradicated in the V. Like the first two channels seem to be way more useable on the V over the IV.

Geiri said:
Thank you scott.
Maybe the triaxis 2:90 rig is an overkill for my needs. So let's keep the MKV option open.
Nice discussion here!
From my humble and ignorant point of view (I never owned a Triaxis), the Mark V looks like a full-amp version of the Triaxis preamp, with 9 preamp modes instead of 8 modes:
- a Tweed rhythm mode was added in Channel 1 (coming from the Mark II-A, maybe?)
- an Edge mode was added in channel 2 (coming from the Stiletto, maybe?) by freeing up the Triaxis Lead 1 Yellow "Modified Mark I" slot (replaced in the Mark V by the "Mark I Thick" mini switch?)

Mark V & Triaxis comparison
Channel 1/Rhythm = Clean/Yellow (Mark IV), Fat/Green (Mark I input 2), Tweed (Mark II-A?)
Channel 2/Lead 1 = Edge (Stiletto?), Crunch/Red (Rectifier Vintage), Mark I/Green (Mark I input 1)
Channel 3/Lead 2 = Mark IIC+/Yellow, Mark IV/Green, Extreme/Red (modified Mark IV)

The power amp looks like a Simul-Class 2:Ninety (mono; not stereo) and the controls lay-out looks like a Nomad.
Nothing seems to get discarded in Mesa!

Any suggestions to where the Tweed Rythym and Edge modes come from?

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to everyone that collaborates and keeps alive this wonderful Mesa Boogie forum!!

Latest posts

Back