well built cabs on a budget?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveBorn2Rock

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to get a well built 2x12 cab without spending too much money. I don't care TOO much about the speakers because I plan ultimately on replacing whatever I get with EVM 12L's, however it'd be nice to get one with V30s I guess.

Anyway is Avatar really quality? Are there any other brands with the same
prices but better quality? Are there other brands with the same quality but are cheaper? It seems like the cheapest I can find a good 2x12 is around $300 which I guess I could do but I'd much rather save some more money if I can.

Thanks!

Dave

Ya but the cheapest that I've found them for is about $450.
Any thoughts on Randall cabs specifically the G3 series?
They're relatively affordable and look solid but I have no experience with them?

I'll be tinkering with a Hartke 412a this weekend a buddy picked up. We have a couple of different heads to run through it to see what it does. I think he said he picked it up brand new for $250.

There's always the used market. It's amazing what cabs will go for in decent condition used on Craigslist. Plus the speakers are already broke in.

Don't forget you can always contact me to tryout the two cabs I have. 4x12 Rectifier Slant and 2x12 Rectifier. I've got some other suggestions for good priced tube amps too for a college frinedly budget.

Avatar's quality is excellent.They're one of the best deals in a new cab on the market. There's nothing really wanting there. Some people upgrade the wiring but the construction of the cab itself is top-knotch.

They are all available speakerless and run $229 for the Traditional, $269 for the Vintage and $289 for the Contemporary.

Awesome. How's the construction? I looked them up and didn't see anything about a 2x12 do you have any idea if they might make one? Also I'm going home next week so I'll get in touch with you sometime about checking out your equipment. I'm really excited to play through a quality rig! :D

DaveBorn2Rock said:
Awesome. How's the construction? I looked them up and didn't see anything about a 2x12 do you have any idea if they might make one? Also I'm going home next week so I'll get in touch with you sometime about checking out your equipment. I'm really excited to play through a quality rig! :D

its mt hartke he is talking about. so far i'm happy with it. it adds a little bass to my tone which i needed. i run a low watt amp though. not sure what it would sound like with a 100 watter.

www.avatarspeakers.com

Check them out!! Great product, service, and price. You can get an even better price on their 'Scratch & Dent' stock which is nearly perfect anyway.

JimmyB said:
Avatar products are pretty much outstanding across the board.

They lose MAJOR points, however, for not shipping anything outside the U.S. :x

they have a canadian distributor, www.steamcomusic.com

CoG said:
JimmyB said:
Avatar products are pretty much outstanding across the board.

They lose MAJOR points, however, for not shipping anything outside the U.S. :x

they have a canadian distributor, www.steamcomusic.com

Yeah... but it's a waste of effort: Steamco's service and prices leave a lot to be desired... if you check their prices, it appears they still think we have a 60-cent dollar, rather than the near-par we've had for most of the last year. Ah well... any of my fellow Canuckleheads want to take over as the new Canadian dealer/distributor? Anyone? :wink:

Hey guys thanks for the input,
Lopo Line ended up having a 20% off moving sale during July so I ended up buying one of they're signature 2x12s with V30s and the total ended up being under $400.
It just arrived yesterday (the wait was really frustrating) and it looks, feels and sounds AWESOME! It's huge and sounds huge too 30/20/14
I got it in black with cane grill so it looks just like this one.
I'm currently running a solid state head through at 60watts and it still sounds huge. I'll post clips when I get a chance if anyone's curious.

sigbkcane.JPG

just bought a AVATAR VINTAGE G112 yesterday...
with a celestion heritage G12H....
closed back.

will do a follow up review, if anyone is interested....

Back