Want to buy a Mark IV for a great price like $1100?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LnTh

Reaction score
All you have to do is to wait till the next Dream Theater album...

Sorry if the title got you excited and this post let you down but don't you agree?

Is it only me who thinks it's not a coincidence?

Petrucci played IIC+, people made it to be the best amp created ever.
Petrucci played Road King, people said Road King is the best amp and everyone sold their Mark IV's, IIC+'s, Triaxis' to buy one.
Petrucci now plays Mark IV's and look at their prices. Everywhere, people talk about Mark IV's.

Do I blame anyone? No. It's soooo natural. I don't think it's wrong or stupid. But I DO see the pattern.

So if you really like the Mark IV tone, and if you're really smart, you should just wait till John Petrucci stops playing Mark IV's. I'm willing to bet that you can get one for 1100-1200 at that point like we used to be able to. Hell, I bought my Mark IV for 1100 shipped and it was what? 1.5 years ago?

I don't wanna start a flame war but feel free to disagree. I'm just telling you what I observed. I'm sure I'm not alone on this :)

Hey no doubt. I bought a MarkIV shorthead with brand new tubes for $700. I flipped it for $1500. It's amazing how things like this impact the market.

My buddy in Australia has me shopping for MarkIV right now. I'm looking for a head for under $900. I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.

Gear-Monkey said:
Hey no doubt. I bought a MarkIV shorthead with brand new tubes for $700. I flipped it for $1500. It's amazing how things like this impact the market.

My buddy in Australia has me shopping for MarkIV right now. I'm looking for a head for under $900. I doubt that's going to happen anytime soon.
Yeah. It's real hard to find that price now. Maybe if you can find some craigslist guy who's been living in a bubble.. :)

I used to flip gear too at some point. Made like 1000 bucks in a month and stopped. I kinda wanna go back to that... But I was so lucky that month. People would pay 1200-1300 for rectos on ebay and I was able to buy em for like 900-1000 all day on craigslist. :) There's a $600 single recto on craigslist right now. Too bad I'm broke :)

I'm wanting to get out of flipping gear because of the shipping liability. When you have 4-5 amps coming in a week and ship out 4-5 tube amps a week, the chances of stuff getting damaged is increased.

I'm kinda shell shocked since the chargeback I got on an amp that I shipped to Australia. PayPal screwed me out alot of money and it was just a pain in the arse for 2 months to settle the issue.

The buyer's amp was damaged in transit. He wanted to settle for me paying the $60 to fix the amp, $210 to convert the amp to 210v, and he wanted me to refund $200 for all the shipping fees.

Basically, he was using paypal to blackmail me to giving him refund since they froze my account. (it was cheaper to pay his request than to lose on my account being frozen)

I was a hard-head though, I refused to give him all his request back, I did give him $180 refund.. despite the quote to repair the amp was only $60usd.

Since then, I've been leary. I made gear-vault to give free services to people and to hopefully weed out ebay and their stupid fees. I can make good money on advertising at the header and google adsense. That's a lot safer than dealing with shipping.

True. But I believe you can make sure you won't get shipping damage. When I'm selling something like an amp, I spend extra to make sure I got a good, safe package. The guy who sold me my amp (bunyok) actually got Fedex to pack the amp I think. You should've seen how safe it felt. Double box and all those wraps!! When you pay that little extra you can rely on insurance to pay for everything too so I say go for that you know...

Anyway. Gear vault idea was pretty cool I must admit. But I doubt you'll get nearly enough people to use it (to weed out ebay) for a long while. But if you be patient, I'm sure ultimately, you'll get enough people to participate.

I would love to see that happen cause I keep paying the stupid ebay fees!

I sold a set of EVM12L's to a member on this board, and I found some pillows someone had left to me in my van. It was super secure and seemed like the absolute best thing to pack boxes with. Now every time I ship an amp or speaker I pack them full of pillows. I can always get used pillows from goodwill or friends for very little to absolutely free. Your buyers will definitely thank you!

Oh trust me, I double box, triple wrap, and never ship with tubes in the sockets. I'll take them out and individually wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in the headshell so they are nice and tight, secure. I did this in Ringo11's 6505+ I sold him and a tube still got broken somehow.

I sent him a full set of JJ 6L6s to replace them. Thank my lucky stars he lives in Florida and not some other country.

but yeah, I know what you mean. I keep my eye out on craigslist all the time for good deals.

LnTh said:
All you have to do is to wait till the next Dream Theater album...

Sorry if the title got you excited and this post let you down but don't you agree?

Is it only me who thinks it's not a coincidence?

Petrucci played IIC+, people made it to be the best amp created ever.
Petrucci played Road King, people said Road King is the best amp and everyone sold their Mark IV's, IIC+'s, Triaxis' to buy one.
Petrucci now plays Mark IV's and look at their prices. Everywhere, people talk about Mark IV's.

Do I blame anyone? No. It's soooo natural. I don't think it's wrong or stupid. But I DO see the pattern.

So if you really like the Mark IV tone, and if you're really smart, you should just wait till John Petrucci stops playing Mark IV's. I'm willing to bet that you can get one for 1100-1200 at that point like we used to be able to. Hell, I bought my Mark IV for 1100 shipped and it was what? 1.5 years ago?

I don't wanna start a flame war but feel free to disagree. I'm just telling you what I observed. I'm sure I'm not alone on this :)

I wonder if on the next DT album he might start using something like the Express series and that would push those like crazy, or the DR Roadstar.

i thought his tone with the roadking was the worst out of all eras.
not that it was bad, just not as good as the marks.
the lead tone on the first album with roadkings (train of thought?) sounds pretty mushy.

JimAnsell said:
i thought his tone with the roadking was the worst out of all eras.
not that it was bad, just not as good as the marks.
the lead tone on the first album with roadkings (train of thought?) sounds pretty mushy.
See that didn't change the JP boys go "omgomgomgomgogmogm roadking" :)

Which is my point.

I like petrucci's tone's character in general but I'd eq and set settings worlds apart from him on any amp probably. It sounded like he dimed gain with his rk :?

Spike said:
I sold a set of EVM12L's to a member on this board, and I found some pillows someone had left to me in my van. It was super secure and seemed like the absolute best thing to pack boxes with. Now every time I ship an amp or speaker I pack them full of pillows. I can always get used pillows from goodwill or friends for very little to absolutely free. Your buyers will definitely thank you!

I wouldn't go bragging about that half *** packing job too much.

phyrexia said:
Spike said:

I wouldn't go bragging about that half *** packing job too much.

if the speakers are tightly boxed, then surrounded by pillows, then in another box, than i wouldn't call it half assed.

Gear-Monkey said:
So if he starts using Line 6, mesa sales will drop?

No if he does I think an increase in sales on 5 gallon buckets will happen so that way people have something to puke in when they here the tone.

MetalHorse442 said:
Gear-Monkey said:

No if he does I think an increase in sales on 5 gallon buckets will happen so that way people have something to puke in when they here the tone.

haha!

I hope I don't flamed for saying this, but I actually like higher end Line 6.

Gear-Monkey said:
MetalHorse442 said:
Gear-Monkey said:

haha!

I hope I don't flamed for saying this, but I actually like higher end Line 6.

I'm not going to flame you for that, I think line 6 does a good job for what they are. I actually really liked the vetta series, the mesa recto mode with the bogner uberschall was totally freakin heavy. They just sound flat and sterile to me, I got tired of modeling amps wanting to be the amps I liked and just saved up the money and got what I wanted. But no line 6 isn't bad but I'd never use it live.

Latest posts

Back