"Waiting to Shine" - original blues rock

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
"Waiting to Shine" - original blues rock

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/bb06-waiting-to-shine

gear:
guitar:
USACG custom strat, mesa boogie MarkIIb head, avatar closed back 1x12 w/celestion heritage g12, palmer pdi-09, various pedals, sm57, AT4033
vox:
AT4033, ADK Hamburg, DBX MC-6, A Designs Audio MP-1, ART DPS
bass:
Carvin LB70 bass, Sansamp Bass DI,

DAW: sonar

i love that tune gonzo!

hey let me ask you a question....I am seriously looking into investing into a palmer myself. I noticed that you use the pdi-09.........is there any particular reason you choose that one?

what are the primary differences between it and the pdi-03 which is much more expensive? it is that the pdi-03 actually be a load box which means you dont have to have a cab hooked up and the pdi-09 appears to still need the cab?

thanks masque!

the PDI-03:

http://www.palmergear.com/pdi03.shtml

the pdi-09:
http://www.palmergear.com/pdi09.shtml

the 09 is the same circuit as the 03, as far as the capture part of it goes....
the 03 adds the load box, and has a 3-way low setting AND a 3-way high setting, whereas the 09 only has a single 3-way setting for the whole frequency range.

the 03 is much more controllable....

but i already had a Weber Mass Lite as a load box, so all i needed was the 09.

thanks for the info! your stuff sounds amazing thru the palmer and i'm really itching to get one.

masque,
you're welcome.

cool thing about using the palmer:
i can do a mix blending the palmer with close mics or room mics.....

close mic: Shure SM57, near the edge of the cone, tilted towards the center off axis slightly.

room mic: Shure KSM44, in any of it's 3 modes (OMNI when the room sounds killer.)

if i mix the palmer track with a mic track, i get the 'room' effect from the room mic.

if i mix the palmer by itself, i typically will use slight delays, or sometimes reverb, to put some room effect back into the equation.

the great thing i've found with this setup, is that i can dictate how in your face the guitar tracks will be at MIXDOWN.

i'm not locked into the room sound, if i find later, that a solo miced track just does not work with the mix i want.
same thing, if i want a super dry track 'spacey' and huge, i can add delays and reverbs at will, and totally tweak it.

that is so cool....i actually came here today to ask you that very question because after hearing your recordings and my need to be able to add some great sounding "direct" guitar tracks I went ahead an ordered the PDI-09 today! should be here later today. I am very excited and I was hoping you would tell me that blending the direct signal with a mic would produce great results.....I cant wait to try it all out!

i also use it for bass tracks.

i have a sansamp bass di, and it has a parallel out..
i'll send a signal to the mesa, set it up for a good bass tone, but with some GAIN....
and capture the output of that with the palmer, mix it with the sansamp track....the wav files ALMOST line up exactly, unlike the delay you get mixing in a miced signal.

next thing i want to try to do is running into my pedalboard, out and directly into the palmer, straight to the 'mixing desk'

just to see.....

here's the palmer manual:

http://www.palmergear.com/images/manuals/pdi09.pdf

man that sounds so cool to try....I also have a sansamp bass box and I love it.....so I am really looking forward to getting this PDI-09 in the mail so i can start experimenting.

i just bought the UAD Apollo interface for my rig and it's supposed to have multiple signal delay compensation which theoretically should allow me to record a direct signal mixed with a live mic signal with no phase issues.....at least I am hoping so. 8)

Hi, this is a really nice song and a really nice tone.
As a new owner of a mk2b, I'm particularly interested in your settings. Can you explain your setup?

thecek
hey, congrats on the new (old) IIb.

and thanks for checking out the tune, and commenting.....

you know, when i used to gig full time, i just set up the amp for the best compromise between the clean and the dirty channels, and used pedals to do the rest.

since the preamp shares the tone controls and gain between the clean and drive channels, a compromise is the best you can do.

but since i use it almost exclusively for recording now, i change the settings for every song, and every track of every song!!

i do not have a 'typical' setting.

you will find, that the IIb is mid heavy, which depending on your style, may just work for you.
if you have the GEQ, like i do, it's easy to dial out the scoop to get a sound like that, but honestly, i think the whole point of guitar is to fill out mids, and be 'vocal', but it is not the right amp for doing highly scooped rectifier tones.

for solid lead tones, i find that the 7-7-7 setup is pretty close...

7 on the VOL1, with or without the pull, 7 on the treble, again, with or without the pull, and 7 on the lead drive.

the other settings all depend on your volume and individual taste.

for example, i find the bass control farty past 2, so i run it at about 1.5.
the mids, if the treble is pulled, are not as necessary, i'll run them at about 4, but if the treble is NOT pulled, then i run the mids around 5-7.

the Master Vol and Lead master all depend on how loud you need to be...
but there is a very sensitive area between about 1 and 1.5 on the Master volume, where you almost go from bedroom volume to stage volume with barely moving the dial.

this is a problem for some......

i solved it by using an attenuator.

i set the master at 2, and use the attenuator to dial in what i want monitoring-wise.......
for recording.

now, i like the pull on the lead volume... it adds edge and gain.
but it also adds a bit of a 'smear' to the high end......
so you have to tweak this between your gains, your treble settings, and the presence control.

the presence, can go from pillowy soft, to really glassy edge.

finding the right combination of gain, treble, mids, and presence is the key, for me.

bottom line is, spend the time to try every conceivable combo, because there are a hundred tones in there.

for example:
sometimes, i like to use the clean channel, with everything dimed (bass on 3)
then, i'll goose that signal with a Fulltone Fatboost III boost pedal, and i can get really crunchy and fat rock rhythm tones on a humbucker.

other times, i'll do the same setup but drive it hard with a compressor.....
aggressive country-style chickin' pickin, or chimey rhythm rock.

with a strat, it's dirt easy to dial in killer clean tones.
just turn those dials til you find it.

and if you're close, but not quite, use the GEQ if you have it.

but i have found, that the absolute best tone you can get out of the thing, is to bypass the GEQ, nothing in the loop, and crank it up pretty good (master on 2 at least) and work with the amp dry.

add junk in mixdown.

overheadguitarrig.jpg

'81 Mesa Boogie Mark2b, 60 watt with GEQ, no reverb

Avatar Vintage closed back 1x12 w/Celestion g12c-30
(1) Roland Closed back w/Celestion Heritage G12H-55
(1) Roland Closed back w/Celestion Greenback
(1) Demeter Isolation cabinet with (3) speaker combos: Eminence Legend 122, Carvin British series or Celestion V30.
Yamaha DG stomp in the fx loop of the boogie.
Weber Mass Lite
Palmer PDI-09 'Junction'
pedals: Isp Decimator, DC brick, Fulltone Fatboost III, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Barber Tone Press, Barber DDSS, Budda wah, Planet Waves Strobe tuner

thanks for the information...
I use about your same settings...

gonzo said:
that's true, they are pretty common settings....

yes..
I've tried to take the slave out from the mesa and put into my marshall plexi.
In this way I have the mesa preamp and the marshall power stage, and the mesa still runnin in its speaker... and it sounds very well. It's pretty the same tone but with different nouanches. I think I will be using this setup in studio...or maybe on the bigger open air stage...

i never had any luck using the slave out.

typically, when i was going to drive another amp, i'd use a stereo FX unit, and take the output of THAT and send it to another amp (using a line level into the front of a tube amp is a different can of worms though.....)

gonzo said:
i never had any luck using the slave out.

typically, when i was going to drive another amp, i'd use a stereo FX unit, and take the output of THAT and send it to another amp (using a line level into the front of a tube amp is a different can of worms though.....)

but...I don't put the slave output in front of my marshall..I send it into the power stage using the return of the effects loop of the marshall.
I'm a goat in english, so I hope you can understand me... :roll:

thecek
yes, that makes more sense!
I HAVE slaved that way before....

just to get louder.

Back