Voodoo Amps Mods

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moguelator

Reaction score
Hey, I'm considering in sending a Dual Recto to this guys.

In their page they say 3 things that caught my atention:

Restructur the gain, remove the fuzzy character.
improved bottom end - no more loose/mushy bottom
Cranked tones at lower volumes

Has anybody tried these modifications? any comment?

i know a few guys over at harmony central that have voodoo modded rectos you might wanna ask over there. I gotta say from hearing from a few ppl that have had them, when you get the amp modded its pretty much a totally different amp. not really the recto sound that your used to, its a bit tighter and doesnt have the fizz to it, less bass and lower mids too. so its pretty much a different amp, which is the only thing holding me back from gettin mine modded ...

so yeah bump for anyone else that might have something to add

nitrous2400 said:
i know a few guys over at harmony central that have voodoo modded rectos you might wanna ask over there. I gotta say from hearing from a few ppl that have had them, when you get the amp modded its pretty much a totally different amp. not really the recto sound that your used to, its a bit tighter and doesnt have the fizz to it, less bass and lower mids too. so its pretty much a different amp, which is the only thing holding me back from gettin mine modded ...

its definitely not a different amp. I had it done a while back and have to say it did wonders on my 2 channel TR. I think what people need to realize is that if your shipping the amp there your just getting the standard mod with no tweeking to your liking. If you do however pick it up when they're done, they let you test drive it and if you want more of a certain something they do it on the spot. In thats sense your getting an amp fine tuned to your liking. In that respect its well worth the money because its not just a standard MOD, its a finely tuned amp thats getting you YOUR tone (maybe a custom mod is a better term to use).

none the less, even with all that tweaking and modifying, it still sounds like a Recto... just a Recto thats tuned to your liking and without the buzz. Also I have to say they made the clean channel on that 2 channel TR usable. Before the mod i could never use it (used a marshal valvestate), after the mod i ditched the valvlestate. I eventually sold the amp (which i regret to this day) because i thought a rectoverb combo would be easier to lug to gigs, which it was but i dearly miss that TR. Hopefully one day i can find another and get it modded.

Little less bass, more upper mids and yes it does sound different then what you are use to. But it does have a good sound to it.

nitrous2400 said:

siggy14 said:
Little less bass, more upper mids and yes it does sound different then what you are use to. But it does have a good sound to it.

nitrous2400 said:

having a different sound and not sounding like a recto are two very different things. if it didnt sound different from stock what would be the point?

It actually does still sound like a recto, just different, I always say a cross between a dual and a Mark IV.

It is really hard to explain, but basically it is just as they say, they spread out the sonic spectrum, meaning adding the upper mid's that are missing, basically on the bass side it takes out the freq's that most do with an EQ pedal.

So besides the transformer upgrade you could basically achive the same results with an EQ pedal, however if you are like me and hate using the loop then the mod is a must.

jdurso said:
siggy14 said:

nitrous2400 said:

having a different sound and not sounding like a recto are two very different things. if it didnt sound different from stock what would be the point?

siggy14 said:
It actually does still sound like a recto, just different, I always say a cross between a dual and a Mark IV.

It is really hard to explain, but basically it is just as they say, they spread out the sonic spectrum, meaning adding the upper mid's that are missing, basically on the bass side it takes out the freq's that most do with an EQ pedal.

So besides the transformer upgrade you could basically achive the same results with an EQ pedal, however if you are like me and hate using the loop then the mod is a must.

jdurso said:
siggy14 said:

very good explaination

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to take away from Trace as his work is great, you will never get the same exact result has he does, but you can get close with an EQ and new tubes. However if you want a tighter bottem end and not have to worry about an EQ in the loop, then defintly get the mod done and the transformer change is a must then.

jdurso said:
siggy14 said:

jdurso said:

very good explaination

Ok not that im an amp expert. But i have 4 amps modded by trace. Two duel rects. One of which are a pre500. Its the best thing i have ever done to any amp. I like the deluxe mod the best i havent tried the platnum. Explain to trace what you want. More tighter bottom end, My harmonics fucking fly off the fret board, I bash through the mix i feel bad for my other guitarist. I play very fast drop b tuned type of stuff. My cleans are amazing. It sounds like a recto still hold the charactre of the amp but sounds so much better. It just rips. I just sent him my diezel vh4 because after doing my other amps the diezel coudnt keep up. I really like the charactor and heavynes of it all. the clean shocks me, I can do blues, country, even alittle dirty type jazz. My leads are smoother closer to my mark. the leads on most stock rectsd are choppy not on these puppies there not. Go with it youll thank everyone after its done. Be very specific about what your looking for, Hell even change the tubes for you and bias them properly depending on your music taste's.

Great man, I appreciate it, but I live in Mexico :?

siggy14 said:
Where do you live by the way? if you are close to VA you can always come test out mine.

moguelator said:
Great, I think I'll make n apointment with them for December

rockanomicon said:
Is there a way to eliminate the buzz via different tubes and/or an EQ in the Loop?

eq in the loop can produce like results but to be honest with you its not the same becausean eq in the loop is just altering the tone you feed that pedal (lets say not organic). The change the mod does to the amp suppresses the buzz and the signal reacts organically through the amp. Also i find depending on the tubes in the amp, suppressing the buzz with an eq may sound a little "fake" if that makes sense at all.

Hi!

I work about 15 mins away from Voodoo Amps in Ithaca NY and have spoken with Trace on many occasions about modding my amps. The guy has class up the wazoo and actually has talked me out of modding my amps three times, because he said that I would not get the sound I wanted. He could have made a good bit of cash off of me but didn't :shock: 8) He has done several repairs for me on some of my Boogies and it was top-shelf work.

Talk with him about what you're looking for sound-wise, give him a few example songs or guitarists and he will be straight-up with you.

Just my character reference. BTW, have you listened to the Recto mod sound-clips on his website (www.voodooamps.com)? Good luck!

Matt

Latest posts

Back