Volume question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TractorTom

Reaction score
Ive got a solo 50 recto:

Got a great sound when quite, a good sound about half vol. Now I read on hear that you can push the output for tube saturation and drop the gain, i've tried this and its not too bad but how does the master vol and output have to work together to get this tube saturation. thats the best I can ask what Im thinking :wink:

Tubes sound their BEST when they're on the verge of meltdown! Ok - not really meltdown, but when you make them nice and angry :)

That is - when you're driving them 'pretty' hard. So 'Master' drives the preamp tubes and 'Output' drives the power tubes.

Most amps have a 'sweet spot' when it comes to output (power tube) distortion. Once you find it (and it'll likely be REAL loud), prepare for heaven. The amp will just sing and sing! :)

If you've got understanding neighbors, try turning the Output control to 12:00. THEN mess with your master gains. You'll probably have a great deal of fun with that!

a Mesa rep recommended to me to get my Stiletto Output around 12:00, then adjust the channel master as needed for volume. He thought that would drive the tubes adequately. Sounds good to me.

Latest posts

Back