Volume pedal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveda

Reaction score
What are you guys using for volume pedals? I need to purchase a volume pedal to complete my rig. Currently I have a Boss TU2, CE-5, DD20, RV5, and NS2 to quiet the whole mess.

What is a good volume pedal to get? I have a guitar with EMGs in it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Steve.

Always curious why people used volume pedals.. anyone care to share what they do with theirs other than swells?

in a live situation if you have a midi preamp your presets coul be at different volumes,you will use a volume pedal to equal tese volumes.
I never used a volume pedal I use expression pedals plugged in my midi controler to control volume and all parameters I need.
If you put a volume pedal in front of an amp it will act like your guitar's volume and change the tone,if you putted in fx loop it will lower the overall volume without change the tone.

sombra said:
in a live situation if you have a midi preamp your presets coul be at different volumes,you will use a volume pedal to equal tese volumes.
I never used a volume pedal I use expression pedals plugged in my midi controler to control volume and all parameters I need.
If you put a volume pedal in front of an amp it will act like your guitar's volume and change the tone,if you putted in fx loop it will lower the overall volume without change the tone.

Sorry I should have been more clear, I'm well aware how the device works, just curious why people don't use their guitar's volume knobs as they were intended. I figured people used it for an effect instead of an actual volume knob.

Maybe I'm old school... midi preamps? :p
Guitar -> stomp boxes -> amp has always worked well for me.

because when you use the guitar's knob you also change the tone.As you low your volume you send less signal to the other pedals or amp.

With a volume in the fx loop you will simply low the volume between your pre amp and your poweramp.

Ohh please you dont know what is a preamp ?
It is the most basic thing.
An amp is made of 3 parts preamp power amp and speaker

preamp will be the knobs of the amp where you make your tone
power amp is the part that send this tone to a speaker.
Man you got to read more.
Old school is one thing lack of curiosity and will to learn new things is other.
I live in brazil,90% here only got a few pedals.
I dont want to be freeze in time.
luck

sombra said:
because when you use the guitar's knob you also change the tone.As you low your volume you send less signal to the other pedals or amp.

With a volume in the fx loop you will simply low the volume between your pre amp and your poweramp.

Ohh please you dont know what is a preamp ?
It is the most basic thing.
An amp is made of 3 parts preamp power amp and speaker

preamp will be the knobs of the amp where you make your tone
power amp is the part that send this tone to a speaker.
Man you got to read more.
Old school is one thing lack of curiosity and will to learn new things is other.
I live in brazil,90% here only got a few pedals.
I dont want to be freeze in time.
luck

Yes I know about everything you mentioned, I just meant that to me, guitar isn't about that sort of stuff. Different strokes :)

because i destroyed my guitar pot means something????

I am also looking foir a volume pedal, do you guys have ever tried the VOX?

is a standard volume pedal expected to be used in front of the amp (so, as said, it won't act like a real volume pedal actually) or in the loop? I mean, what are in&out impendances made to match? or are there any volume pedals built intentionally for working in a loop?

The volume pedal is used like the volume knob of the guitar/bass, but with the freedom that using with the feet gives to you i think.

i run the ernie ball in front of the amp, i mean, to the main input, before the wah, the whammy and the tubescreamer, and after de boss tuner, and is awesome, i use it a lot to creat chordclouds, and like a violin ala van halen, porcupine tree, mike stern etc., and to "clean" my tone sometimes when im playing distorted, can go from clean crunchy to hell with the stompbox down. :twisted:

In the loop i noticed the volume goes down a bit.

this is what i have

electric_effector-8140-001.jpg

VPJR.JPG

Platypus said:
Always curious why people used volume pedals.. anyone care to share what they do with theirs other than swells?

I have the Ernie Ball Volume pedal as well and I love it. I totally rely on it any more. I hang my Boss TU2 off of it (tuner out) so that when I want to tune I just rock the volume all the way back which kills the signal towards the amp but lets it go through to the tuner. No one ever has to listen to me tune. I know the TU2 can be set up to do the same, but I like this method better and I am used to it.
Also, I find it much easier to use the foot pedal than to try to use my hand on the guitar volume. I can adjust volume whenever I need/want to with no interruption to my strumming hand.

Mine is out in the front of the amp, not in the loop. I don't really find that it colors the tone, but it does reduce gain.

If it reduces the gain so it colors the sound cause less gain = another tone

Platypus said:

I play a Parker Nitefly and use an Ernie Ball stereo volume/pan pedal. Parkers can run both pickup and piezo outputs at the same time. I send the pickup output to a Mesa F-30 combo, and the piezo output (sounds similar to an acoustic) to a Fender Acoustasonic 30, and use the Ernie Ball pedal to control the mix of the signals. This allows me to have an all piezo, or all electric, or a hybrid tone.

I also prefer to control volume swells with my feet.

sombra said:
If it reduces the gain so it colors the sound cause less gain = another tone

Fair enough.

I do agree that in the loop you are controlling the volume and it should not effect the tone or amount of gain. I haven't really played with that set up much though. I think I maybe tried it once for the hell of it.

I personally like the effect of being able to reduce the volume and take a bit of gain away. I use it sometimes to back off during verses so the vocals stand out more...then bring on the volume and gain for chorus parts and/or leads.

I use an expression for volume control in my midi footcontroler this way it doesn't change the tone.
To do what your said lowering the gain I use my guitar's volume knob.
This way I can choose what type of volume control I want to use.
Meaning more tones

freak tones huahuauhuahuahuhuha

Thanks for the help guys. I did get an EB Jr last night. The thing seems great and it fits like a glove in my pedal board. Thanks again.

Steve.

I've use one to go between clean and distorted, tones on a low - mid gain amp. Obviously to do that I need it in front of the amp. I don't like using the volume knob because it kills to many highs. With a passive pedal like the Ernie Ball your adding another voltage divider, which is what your volume and tone knob is. So if you put your volume knob in your guitar on a switch, and switched it out while using the volume pedal you would have no gain loss. As long as the pot in the volume pedal the same size as the volume pot in your guitar. You could likewise use an active volume pedal and avoid that all together. Dunlop makes one that has a 470k pot in it, which is closer to your 500K normally used with humbuckers. If you disconnect your tone control inside your guitar, you should get a gain boost. I never use my tone control on the guitar so i wont miss it.

Latest posts

Back