Volume Drop in R2!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtop

Reaction score
I'm noticing a difference in volume in the channels on my Mark III. Could it be something as simple as the V2 preamp tube going bad, because if it where power tubes it would be all channels?

The V2 is involved with all three channels. It's a recovery for the lead channel, Clean channel and return for the loop as well as the input for the reverb. Unless the drop is almost inaudible, it's normal to get lower volume as the gain increases. With the MK III you have the Vol. 1 for the clean and the Master Volume. For the Lead you have the Vol. 1, Lead Drive, Lead Master and then Master Volume. For the R2 you have the Volume 1 and Master Volume as well, but there is a set resistor that determines the output. If it's a serious drop in volume or it's slow to turn on and off, your LDR 3 may be acting up.

if only r2 is lower than the rest, that is common and so we have the r2 volume mod that wires in a master for r2. I had it done on my amp and it is way better now.

Back