Volume Control

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indieboy

Reaction score
Just a quickie. I've got a ROV combo. I love the amp but the volume control is mega sensitive. 9 o'clock = fairly quiet, 10 o'clock = deafening. Is it normal? If so why?? Ta

My Mark IV, and all the other Mark IVs I have played are this way. I played a rectoverb in the store and I'm pretty sure it wasn't as sensitive as the Mark IV, but don't quote me on that :)

My Tremoverb head is like that too. At 9:00 or a hair below it is pretty quiet but if you just tweak it slightly above that the volume jumps real high and it is louder than hell.

Yes, that output control can be sensitive, but don't forget you can also control volume with the channel master as well. It changes the tone a bit, but you can play with each control to find the right balance for low volume playing.

Indeed, if you don't have the luxury to play at deafening volume levels, you have to fiddle with the output and master levels. I always compare them to the gear and gas pedals of an (manual) car

Keep in mind also, that they are meant to be played LOUD, They never really designed these amps for bedroom levels. They are arena amps.

I think this is fairly common in tube amps in general. My old fender deluxe is pretty quiet on 1, but about 1 1/2 or almost 2 it's stage volume loud and 3 is loud gig volume..... about 4 or 5 is where the volume plateaus out and starts getting in to overdrive territory.

That's just the nature of the beast.

Thanks a lot for the info - I didn't know this was a characteristic of all tube amps so I'll stop worrying. I get to play pretty loud in the band I'm in and am always surprised at how loud the amp is at relatively low settings. I'm looking forward to telling the band I've got an amp designed for arenas - we need to book bigger gigs!

Back