Visited Splawn Amps Thursday

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
I went down I-85 a few minutes and visited the home of Splawn Amplification in Dallas, NC. Small place, very small actual "shopping space." Just a counter, and a wall of about 15 guitars, and then behind that, a doorway to where he wires up all the amplifiers. All woodwork (cabs, heads), tolex, and head wiring are done in house by three people, including Scott. I got to talk to Scott for a good 30 minutes. He is a great guy, very knowledgeable and extremely down to earth. I also talked to the guy that does the tolex and sets the speakers in the cabs. The store had a nice collection of Charvel guitars, and a few Jacksons. There weren't any heads to try out though, which was kinda suprising. He basically builds them and ships them. Says he builds close to 5 heads a week. That day two were in boxes ready to be picked up by UPS (or FedEx...) and one chassis was sitting upside down with wires hanging out of it being put together by Scott, which he said he hoped to finish in about 3 hours after I left. I think one of his amps is going to eventually become my second head, they are just brutal, and the fact that he's basically right in my back yard is really neat. If you're ever going passed Charlotte on I-85, get off at exit 17 and head over to 115 Gaston St. in Dallas, it's worth at least one short trip just to meet the man that provides amps for Killswitch Engage, Godsmack, Disciple, and others.

-AJH

I've always thought Scott has done a very good job marketing his amps. He's got a ton of clips from different players on his site, he has an online forum and he's even done an in-person amp demo/party sort of thing, too. The clips I've heard sound really good and most people who buy a Splawn seem to love it even beyond the initial honeymoon phase.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Looks like I'm going to be getting a Splawn in the future, they offered my an artist deal today, and as soon as I can get the money around, I'll be a "Splawn Artist"! I'll still be using my Mesa stuff together with the Splawn though, so I'm not abandoning ship over here. Looks like I'm going to get a Nitro head, should pair up well with my Triple Recto. Now, the though question is to whether to get KT-88's or EL-34's?!?

-AJH

Theres something to be said about being close to the folks who make your stuff......

Which is way my next amp will probably be a Soldano. :wink:

Nice score. Seems pretty hard these days to get an endorsement that allows you to use other gear...

MesaENGR412 said:
Looks like I'm going to be getting a Splawn in the future, they offered my an artist deal today, and as soon as I can get the money around, I'll be a "Splawn Artist"! I'll still be using my Mesa stuff together with the Splawn though, so I'm not abandoning ship over here. Looks like I'm going to get a Nitro head, should pair up well with my Triple Recto. Now, the though question is to whether to get KT-88's or EL-34's?!?

-AJH

Congrats dude! I've been wanting a Nitro myself. I'd go with KT-88's myself!

Latest posts

Back