Video Idea: Mark V 6L6 vs EL34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my own experience I found channel 2 was the one that benefited most from EL34s.

Channel 1 takes a bit of a hit, which I feel you can actually hear in the video as it shifts from a full, 3D sound into a narrower, more focused sound.

Channel 2 I find is kind of boring with 6L6s. EL34s extra compression bring it to life. Particularly with Edge and Crunch modes.

Channel 3 can go either way for me as it sounds good either way, although I do keep going back to EL34s.

I agree with screaming daisy. Channel 2 sounds much more alive and pronounced with EL34's. Channel 1 sounded much more full and 3Dish with 6L6s, and Channel 3, both sounded pretty good to me. I'm gonna stick to 6L6s for now.

In the vid EL34 really sucks in all the chs..maybe it isnt doing justice

rika_gd said:

To me, it sounded like they dialed the amp in with the 6L6's, then plugged the EL-34's in without any setting changes. This is a tough debate, as to wheather you move the settings to optimize each tube, or leave them the same for maximum contrast, for this video. :?:

I couldn't really hear that throaty, detailed EL-34 crunch in the vid. Like people said, it sounded like the amp got neutered when they swapped the tubes. Of course with the gain settings it wasn't as noticeable.

Thanks for checking out the video!
To me, it sounded like they dialed the amp in with the 6L6's, then plugged the EL-34's in without any setting changes. This is a tough debate, as to wheather you move the settings to optimize each tube, or leave them the same for maximum contrast, for this video.

That is completely accurate, and exactly how we approached the video. It's a hard call, but I thought it would be best to leave the amp on the same settings so all you're hearing is the difference in tubes. Changing the EQ could really give a false impression of what the tubes are doing.

To be completely honest, I can't hear a whole lot of difference even when sitting in front of the amp. The Mark V IMHO sounds surprisingly similar regardless of the power tubes in it. Pretty subtle change. On the other hand I think the rectifier sounds considerably different with EL34's, and that's the next video to be posted.

HaggertysMusic said:
Thanks for checking out the video!
To me, it sounded like they dialed the amp in with the 6L6's, then plugged the EL-34's in without any setting changes. This is a tough debate, as to wheather you move the settings to optimize each tube, or leave them the same for maximum contrast, for this video.

That is completely accurate, and exactly how we approached the video. It's a hard call, but I thought it would be best to leave the amp on the same settings so all you're hearing is the difference in tubes. Changing the EQ could really give a false impression of what the tubes are doing.

Then, would it be safe to say, if you dialed in the amp with EL-34's, then changed the tubes to 6L6's without changing settings, the opinions here against the EL-34's might be different. I know it's hard to please everyone, and I commend your efforts. 8)

Then, would it be safe to say, if you dialed in the amp with EL-34's, then changed the tubes to 6L6's without changing settings, the opinions here against the EL-34's might be different. I know it's hard to please everyone, and I commend your efforts.

Again it's hard to say. The amp ships with 6L6, and the first thing I would do if I was going to try EL34's, would be to plug them in with the same settings I always use, and listen for the difference. Then start tweaking. You could probably dial the EL34's in to sound almost exactly like the 6L6's if you wanted to! :D

HaggertysMusic said:
To be completely honest, I can't hear a whole lot of difference even when sitting in front of the amp. The Mark V IMHO sounds surprisingly similar regardless of the power tubes in it. Pretty subtle change. On the other hand I think the rectifier sounds considerably different with EL34's, and that's the next video to be posted.

I am eagerly awaiting this!

Dom

Thanks haggertys. I am glad I listened to this before I fell for the tube change hype. There really is no appreciable difference. In the end, it is all just a bunch of guys sitting around splitting hairs over the micro difference in sound between one good amp sound and another increadibly similar amp sound.

Trev57 said:
Thanks haggertys. I am glad I listened to this before I fell for the tube change hype. There really is no appreciable difference. In the end, it is all just a bunch of guys sitting around splitting hairs over the micro difference in sound between one good amp sound and another increadibly similar amp sound.
:wink: :wink: :wink:

The reality is... for the $80 it would cost you, it can't really hurt to have a set of EL34's around the house, and enjoy them both.

I am eagerly awaiting this!

The Dual Rec video has been shot. It's with our editor right now. Again... EL34's won't make a dual rec sound like a Marshall! (thank goodness :D ) but the difference in tubes in a dual rec is certainly more appreciable than the mark v.

Thanks so much for watching!!! :eek:

Trev57 said:
You probably don't think those pesky knobs on the amp do much either. :wink:

Trev57 said:

So, the dude who's never actually tried it for himself is now enough of an expert on the subject to judge the opinions of those who actually have?

Go figure...

Trev57 said:
+1 to Hagg's response...once again, if you have spent 1700 bucks on an amp that can use both, why the hell not have both on hand??Its not gonna set you back near as much as the amp did,anyway!!There IS a difference, and if you haven't been in the same room with the speakers pushin' some air,then you just can't call it splittin' hairs-tube change "hype"? :lol:

+1 to Hagg's response...once again, if you have spent 1700 bucks on an amp that can use both, why the hell not have both on hand??Its not gonna set you back near as much as the amp did,anyway!!There IS a difference, and if you haven't been in the same room with the speakers pushin' some air,then you just can't call it splittin' hairs-tube change "hype"?

...please don't call us 'Haggs' :|
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trev57 said:

If you lived in the northeastern US, I'd have you come over and hear the difference for yourself. In my experience, the difference between the stock 6L6s and SED EL34s is significant.

Everyone's shitting on that guy who said he didn't hear much of a difference and honestly those sitting here making a deal of it are just being dramatic.

I listened to the whole thing multiple times and I agree with him. Obviously there are subtle differences but those differences can probably be emulated with good eq changes and such. I wouldn't sit here and tease the guy because he had a different opinion than all of you who obviously really care about this subject. The only noticeable difference was the clean channel loosing balls when switching to EL's and the third channel had a bit of smoother gain, that was about it.

espmaster1 said:
Everyone's sh!t on that guy who said he didn't hear much of a difference and honestly those sitting here making a deal of it are just being dramatic.

I listened to the whole thing multiple times and I agree with him. Obviously there are subtle differences but those differences can probably be emulated with good eq changes and such. I wouldn't sit here and tease the guy because he had a different opinion than all of you who obviously really care about this subject. The only noticeable difference was the clean channel loosing balls when switching to EL's and the third channel had a bit of smoother gain, that was about it.
Relax man, nobody lit the torches yet. :lol: It's just common knowlege round these parts that you can't judge much from yootoob. And to make your opinion solely based on an internet clip whithout ever being in the same room with said amp is foolish. And anyone who believes that tube swapping is hype has never done so personally or has an inner ear problem.

Latest posts

Back