Value of original Mark I

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got an original Mark I I'm thinking of selling, serial # 5515. I'm the original owner. It's a head format, just as originally designed by Mesa (no rev's). It's recently (3 months) had a full refurb (expensive) by the factory and has a custom Anvil flight case, complete with all original materials from the factory. Used but not abused, minimal wear and tear. No cuts on the Tolex, no rust, etc.

Any idea what price range I should be asking for a sale? It's a phenominal amp but I just don't need the volume anymore and my other Mesa's seem to be used much more often. I need to generate some money for new gear purchases.

Thanks in advance for you comments,

Jed

It really depends on the condition and the options. Does it have a graphic EQ? Reverb? Etc. I guess if it's in very good condition, it'll go pretty high on Ebay. I saw a fully loaded hardwood combo that went for approx. $2600 a few months ago.

Could you post up some pics?

Octavarius said:
It really depends on the condition and the options. Does it have a graphic EQ? Reverb? Etc. I guess if it's in very good condition, it'll go pretty high on Ebay. I saw a fully loaded hardwood combo that went for approx. $2600 a few months ago.

Could you post up some pics?

On further study it appears not to be a Mark I. There is no EQ (wasn't an option back then). The condition is near new just aged some 27 years. I treated this thing like gold. I don't know which mark number (I suspect a Mark IIb or IIc) it is frankly but after reading up on the various models here are the specifics (which should serve to ID the model):

Front Panel:
Input & Footswitch
Volume 1 (Pull Bright)
Treble (Pull Shift)
Bass
Middle
Master 1 (Gain Boost)
Lead Drive (Pull Lead)
Lead Master (Pull Bright)

Switches:
100 RMS / 60 RMS, On / Standby, On / Power
Jewel Light (amber)

Read Panel:
Power receptacle
Fuse Socket (3A SB)
Ground (lift)
Slave (1/4" jack & level control)
Effects Loop - Send & Receive (1/4" jacks)
Presence
Reverb
Speaker Outputs:
8 Ohm, 4 Ohm, 4 Ohm
(serial number (not ID as such) stamped into chassis beneath Speaker Outputs) - 5515

Bottom of Chassis?
1/4" jack (unmarked for single cable volume control?)
2ea RCA jacks - Reverb send & receive
1/4" jack (unmarked for ??)
5ea - 12AX7 - no fetron unit
fan unit - always on ? - no noise

Head only - Black Tolex, matt-finish nickel corner guards
18.75" wide x 10.25" deep x 9.0" high

I thought I bought this in '79 or so - there's date written on the chassis that reads 7/08/80? (last two digits are illegible). I can't seem to find the manual but back then I don't think Mesa called this the Mark II publicly. It was just the Mesa Boogie - only one model with various options. There is a number stamped on the Accutronics Reverb that reads 9AB2A1B. There is no bias control for tube switching as in later models. I'll try to get some pics.

Thanks for your help on this,

Jed

That serial number would most likely make it a very late Mark IIA. It was probably made in 1980 as the date on the bottom suggests. EQ was always an option, it's just that many didn't have them.

My price estimate would be in the $800 range. The MKIIA is not the most desirable model and many people avoid the non-EQ amps. I'm not suggesting it's not a good sounding amp, just that there isn't much demand for them now.

Your serial number is higher than mine is, and mine's a Mark IIb (but loaded, koa cabinet, 60/100 watt model, export transformer).

Thanks for the replies and comments,

I ended up calling Mesa Boogie and they confirmed that although the serial number sounded like a II (a), the control layout and effects loop confimed it was an early IIb.

I just recently had the factory go through the thing (cost about $400) So if it's only worth $600 > $800, I'll probably just keep the amp for now and see how the power-section works with an Axe-Fx I'm thinking about.

Thanks again for your help!

cheers,

Jed

Latest posts

Back