V30's or Eminence Legends?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitardude05

Reaction score
which one do you guys like more with your mark amps? the only reason i ask is because i'm either getting a mesa recto 2x12 (v30s) or a vader 2x12 (emi legends) and i was just wondering what you guys thought of them. the v30s are obviously the go to speaker, but ive heard the legends are a bit smoother. and the vader is $200 less than a mesa cab so that is why im leaning a bit towards the legends.

The cab is more important than the speaker. I'd get the Mesa with the V30s.

guitardude05 said:
which one do you guys like more with your mark amps? the only reason i ask is because i'm either getting a mesa recto 2x12 (v30s) or a vader 2x12 (emi legends) and i was just wondering what you guys thought of them. the v30s are obviously the go to speaker, but ive heard the legends are a bit smoother. and the vader is $200 less than a mesa cab so that is why im leaning a bit towards the legends.

I'd say go for the Vader cab. Then you let us know how brutal it is!? 8)

I definitely do not agree with the poster above me, the speaker is far more important although different cabs can do big difference.

I didn't used to agree with me either. BELIEVE ME!!! I would've thought I was nuts.

But it's the truth. So :p

Go for the Legends, I have a Soldano cab with 2 Eminence Legends in it and it sounds fuckin killer, better than the recto cab of the same size. It is a bit smoother, more clear sounding as well.

I've been reading your posts. If you're struggling too hard with an amp to get your sound out of it, then maybe the amp isn't for you. That being said, cab/speaker change do make a lot of difference. But if you're still not satisfied, then don't hesitate, definitely dump the IV.

PS: Eminence Governor is a smoother V30.

trem said:
I've been reading your posts. If you're struggling too hard with an amp to get your sound out of it, then maybe the amp isn't for you. That being said, cab/speaker change do make a lot of difference. But if you're still not satisfied, then don't hesitate, definitely dump the IV.

PS: Eminence Governor is a smoother V30.
my plan was to get a cab and see if it made everything better from the open back combo. then if i STILL didnt like the mark iv, then i would dump it. the thing is, LoG's tone is my favorite metal rhythm tone of all time and the mark iv sounds amazing when i record with it. but i like playing a lot by myself so it sounds like crap to me out of a mix. if i had the funds, i would keep the mark iv and buy amps until i found something else that i liked but thats not an option at this point in my life.

heres my dilemma: i love the mark iv for fast single note riffing like LoG, but i incorporate that kind of playing with a lot of huge chords and progressions in my music and i just wish i could have the best of both worlds. i wish i could have an amp that was tight when i needed it, then just ooze all over the place when i needed it. cause i aint gonna be playin LoG with a recto :lol:

i keep wanting to get a 5150 because it sounds so nice in-store, but on tape the mark iv always wins for me. :?

Sadly, there is no amp that will do the huge chording and insanely tight riffing all in one. Why do you think people run multi-amp rigs? :lol:

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Sadly, there is no amp that will do the huge chording and insanely tight riffing all in one. Why do you think people run multi-amp rigs? :lol:
i know, life is incomplete! i hate all that complicated multi-amp setups and effects out the wazzoooo and preamps and blah blah wow my head hurts.

mrd said:
Go for the Legends, I have a Soldano cab with 2 Eminence Legends in it and it sounds f%&# killer, better than the recto cab of the same size. It is a bit smoother, more clear sounding as well.
Mike Soldano uses the Eminence Legend V12. Which is what I have in my 4x12, too - they are great speakers.

From the man, Mike Soldano, himself:

"The Vintage 30 is a decent sounding and popular speaker (although I personally find the upper midrange of those speakers somewhat annoying) and will work fine with the Atomic or Astroverb. These amps take a 16 ohm speaker. We are using the Eminence Legend series V12-16, which sounds very similar (and to my ears, better) at about half the cost."
(http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive/monthly/qa_soldano/2002/12_02.htm)

"We presently are using the Eminence Legend series V12-16 which I really like a lot. It is somewhat similar to a Celestion Vintage 30, but has a much smoother top end. It is a good general purpose speaker, but it does have a distinct coloration. Some people like Greenbacks better, while others prefer the harder sound of the 70-watt or 80 watt Celestions. Clapton has used 4x12's loaded with Electrovoice EVLs and Lou Reed has used JBLs. Both of those will give you a louder cleaner sound than Celestions or our Eminences. You would hear your guitar more and the speaker less. So speaker selection is really a matter of taste. However, I'd be willing to bet that you wouldn't be disappointed by the Eminence Legend speakers."
(http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive/monthly/qa_soldano/02_04.htm)

camsna said:
I didn't used to agree with me either. BELIEVE ME!!! I would've thought I was nuts.

But it's the truth. So :p

Truth for your ears.

Nope. Just the truth ;)

Crap cab with great speakers will sound crap.
Great cab with crap speakers will sound good.
Great cab AND speakers = JOY!!!

That's what I mean when I say the cab is more important than the speaker. That's why my recommendation is to get the good cab and THEN select a speaker for it :)

camsna said:
Nope. Just the truth ;)

That's what I mean when I say the cab is more important than the speaker. That's why my recommendation is to get the good cab and THEN select a speaker for it :)

nah i dont think so. shitty speakers will always sound like **** no matter what kind of enclosure you put them into, of course a different enclosure will have slight variations on the type of **** smell that reeks from the cabinet but its all pretty much the same.

this is like saying a Lambo with a Honda 4 cylinder engine still goes fast because its a Lamborghini chassis. i dont think so.

I know it seems like it SHOULD be that way - it's just not. I'm only
trying to help and would never presume that something was the case if it wasn't. But whatever. It's not my opinion - it's just the truth. Peace.

camsna said:
The cab is more important than the speaker. I'd get the Mesa with the V30s.

+1.....you can rectify (no pun intended) a cab that sounds lousy because of the speakers....it's more expensive to go the other way :?

im not trying to bash on you. it just seems unreal, i mean unless the cab is falling apart and rattling like a can of screws then there shouldnt be much of a difference. are you trying to say that Vader makes bad quality cabs? ive never seen one, or heard one but a ton of metal bands use them. ill probly end up getting the mesa, its just a question of 2x12 or 4x12 right now.

No no. Not bashing their cabs. And I KNOW that it doesn't make sense. But the case remains the same.

Want the best cab made? Ear Candy

Mesa makes great cabs too! That are voiced for their amps. So the idea is - get what you know is good and select a speaker to taste :)

camsna said:
Mesa makes great cabs too! That are voiced for their amps. So the idea is - get what you know is good and select a speaker to taste :)
Just some thoughts in the morning.
That's actually the wrong way to do it. The cab should be constructed around the speaker, because each speaker has different specifications concerning its resonance frequency for example. And while guitar cabs are not made to reproduce a tone 1:1 like hi-fi equipment - where this rule applies even stronger - but to color the tone, it should theoretically nevertheless be the other way round ;) Practically it's almost impossible to do (and useless, as we want guitar speakers to color the sound) - so we just switch out speakers in the cab we have and sometimes we find a tone we like - or we buy the cab we like the most in the first place.

This has consequences for comparing speakers most people forget: some guys say V12s sound great, some say they suck. Apart from differences in taste, the different tone you would hear from the same speaker comes from mounting it in different cabs. And I don't even mean the comparison of an open-back 1x12 with a closed-back 4x12. Just the different volumes, dampings etc. of two 4x12s will have an impact on the sound of the speaker. :)

camsna said:
Nope. Just the truth ;)

The speaker is more important factor, thats the truth.

"Crap cab with great speakers will sound crap."

Not necessarily true, although in most cases it's true. Some speakers works in all kind of cabinets, it's all about what sound you're after. In the end all speakers have their own character of sound and thats what you'll notice first and most.

I've tried so many speakers in so many different cabs and speakers is definitely what you hear the difference most on as long as you don't test them in totally different cabs, which is totally pointless thats not how you test speakers.

Latest posts

Back