V30 Speaker buzzing, advice please?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackie59

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum but since I'm using a Mark V head I'll ask here. I have a used Recto 2x12 vertical cab that has V30's in it. I got the cab a few months ago and it was practically new so I know the speakers hadn't been broken in yet. Anyway, the top speaker has an annoying buzzing when I hit heavy chords or double stops, especially on the Crunch channel, and I checked all the mechanical parts to tighten anything that might be loose. But it still buzzes. I guess my question is will the speaker buzz be part of the breaking in process or is it more indicative of a problem with the speaker itself? I've never had a problem like this before so I'm just trying to get some direction on what to do at this point. It's not under warranty so if I need to replace or recone it then that's what I'll do if it's necessary. The cab sounds really nice buzzing and all. Thanks in advance.

Buzzing is not part of breaking in. From your explanation, it's a problem with the speaker. If you had a sample recorded, we might be of more help, but sounds like you've got a bad speaker.

blackie59 said:
Not sure if this is the right forum but since I'm using a Mark V head I'll ask here. I have a used Recto 2x12 vertical cab that has V30's in it. I got the cab a few months ago and it was practically new so I know the speakers hadn't been broken in yet. Anyway, the top speaker has an annoying buzzing when I hit heavy chords or double stops, especially on the Crunch channel, and I checked all the mechanical parts to tighten anything that might be loose. But it still buzzes. I guess my question is will the speaker buzz be part of the breaking in process or is it more indicative of a problem with the speaker itself? I've never had a problem like this before so I'm just trying to get some direction on what to do at this point. It's not under warranty so if I need to replace or recone it then that's what I'll do if it's necessary. The cab sounds really nice buzzing and all. Thanks in advance.

No certainly no break in issue.
You have a vibration somewhere either caused by a loose screw or connection or some other speaker cone issue.
Finding the cause of these things is always a process of elimination :mrgreen:

I would agree, not a break in characteristic with V30 speaker. If you said it had Jensen Blackbird Alnico speakers and it breaks up oddly or you get some really weird noises, that would be considered normal and it takes a while to break those in.

Buzz could be a number of things and may not be the speaker. It could be the baffle board, grill, or even the casters or something else not even cab related. I would consider relocating your gear in a different location to see if it is something else first. I have chased the buzz around with an OS Recto Cab to no avail. Found baffle to be causing issues and fixed that. Sometimes it would go away and then come back the next day. Tried the same cab with another amp and did not have the issue. Trial and error, I found the footswitch enclosure tends to vibrate on some frequencies as I was able to stop it when searching for the root cause of buzz when I put my hand on the footswitch I had sitting on the floor next to the cabinet. Since the Vertical cab directs one speaker upward, it is easy to assume it would be the top speaker. Try moving your amp into a different location. May even want to move your head away from the cab if at all possible as it could also be tube rattle that may sound like it is coming form the cabinet. Sometimes you may need to remove the grill in order to chase down cab buzz. It could be the plastic stopper support for the grill causing the vibration. Soft rubber foam door seal tape can fix the buzz if it is related to the grill frame against the baffle. Removal of the grill will at least isolate that from the root cause. May not be easy task to track down. May also need to glue in some tooth pick stubs into the old screw hole if the wood on the grill has become stripped out by the screw. I get buzzes every now and then with all of my amps, I have to consider what room I am in when it happens. My wife had decorated the home with many glass and ceramic objects that tend to resonate and rattle which has made me think it is related to the speaker cabinet. Definitely try what you can to isolate the noise if you have not done so already. Does it make more buzz on a clean channel vs higher gain setting? If so, it could be fret buzz. If you have more than one guitar and it still happens, may even be tube rattle as that can sometimes get into your signal. I hope some of this helps. It could be the one speaker too but I would do what you can to rule all other issues out first before replacing speakers. If you have to replace the speaker, buy it though the mesa store as they carry the England made versions. The others are made in china but look the same and do not sound quite the same as those tend to buzz or get fizzy at low volume (was a common complaint in the Carvin forums about the V30 before Carvin audio split from Keisel/Carvin guitars).

Latest posts

Back