V30=POO, farty honking midrange, bitter highs, great low end

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These speakers are good if you like very upfront midrange. I have never been able to get good low-end out of these speakers though. They do become much smoother once they are broken in.

CodeTitan said:
These speakers are good if you like very upfront midrange. I have never been able to get good low-end out of these speakers though. They do become much smoother once they are broken in.
......Thank you CodeTitan, terrific response, and interesting as well. My experience has always been them having a very present deep low-end.

Good speaker...gets smooth and the low end is probably greater then all other celestions... I wouldnt mind them being a little tighter and gritter but there definity not a bad pedal to say the least.

relax men, relax, like I said on other topic this is just a forum.
I like the v30 to play hard rock, but I think that they are too monstruos to play funk, blues or country. For these styles I think that greenbacks are the perfect match and it will perfectly fit on your tone

I've only had the V30 in a 71 Fender Deluxe Reverb that I had redone. In that particular amp, the tone was great...across the board...I liked everything, high, mid, and low.

RB

It really was sweet. A friend stayed after me for years until I sold it to him to compliment his late 60's Tele....I regret that sale to this day, and it's been about 10 years now.

*sigh* :cry:

RB

I like them =)
low end, mids, highs, it is all there. I found them even suprisingly warm on clean for "higain" speakers. I sold mine because the ohmage led to a mismatch with my amp and other speakers. But I ordered a new pair, this time with the correct impedance =)
It's been two weeks of the waiting game though...

I like the Mesa version of the V30 in the Recto Traditional cab. Mids are not overpowering, nice bass, highs are perfect IMO. Can't say I love V30's across the board though.

What amp head/speaker cab combo are you looking to buy or to retrofit with V30s? What styles of music? The answer to those questions will determine whether or not the V30 is the right choice. Bottom line is that, like any good speaker (or any quality music gear for that matter), it'll be perfect for some things and not for others 8)

I used to have a 1960AV and thought it sucked. Very little bass compared to a regular 1960 (G12T75's), very harsh mids not musical at all.

Now a V30-loaded Recto cab is a very different animal indeed. Nice singing mids and highs (gets better as spk's break in a bit), and more than enough bottom for any style of music.

mesaian said:
CodeTitan said:
......Thank you CodeTitan, terrific response, and interesting as well. My experience has always been them having a very present deep low-end.

The speaker cabinet probably has a lot to do with how much low-end is projected. I have a Carvin Legacy 2x12 speaker cabinet (with V30's) that is very shallow, and I have never been able to get a decent amount of low-end out of it. I would love to hear how the speakers sound in an oversized cabinet such as the ones that Mesa makes. I might try taking the speakers out and putting them in my LSC combo to see how they sound.

Back