v30 compared to c90 or c80

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ With my RKII I too prefer the C90 when playing at live volumes, but for micing the V30 just sounded better, this was with a RK 2x12.

@123
I had mic test clips of the V30 and C90 few months ago, but my old CPU died and yet to have the time to make them again. The V30 sounded more pissed off, yes there was a lot of highs, but I prefer that in my sound. The C90, like you described, was mellow and more balanced. Maybe I need better speaker cable?

Mr_You said:
Along those lines this is what I'm looking at so far:

Modern/Rock Tones:
Splawn Nitro KT88: Mesa 3/4 1x12 Cabinets w/ Celestion 90 or V30
Dual Rectifier 6L6: Mesa 3/4 1x12 Cabinets w/ Celestion 90 or V30

You would not be able to have one V30 with a Dual Rec. because the Dual Rec. is 100 watts while the V30 would be 60. Unless of course you switched it to half power at 50 watts.

MetalMatt said:
The C90, like you described, was mellow and more balanced. Maybe I need better speaker cable?

A high end cable should make the C90 a sharper, livier speaker with the same balanced response if the cable is balanced (in a tonal sense). Though they're expensive they're less pricy and less work than swapping a speaker. For best results all cables should be compatible. One of these days soon I'll post some sound clips.

You would not be able to have one V30 with a Dual Rec. because the Dual Rec. is 100 watts while the V30 would be 60. Unless of course you switched it to half power at 50 watts.

You should be ok as long as you're not cranking it. The Roadset 1x12 combo is 50/100 watts and comes with one V30. But for rock especially, I tend to prefer two stacked 1x12s for a bigger sound.

I did this very comparison last night at my band's practice. I have the Road King cabinet lplaying through the Stiletto Stage 1 w/HW Mod and which as you all should know ;) it has the 30's and the 90's and can run them together or seperate. To me, based on my playing style, the 30's are tighter and less boomy, or less muddy than the 90's. The 90's do have a louder, warmer, more midranged tone but not as tight as I like. I should mention I'm in a metal band and we play older metal-ish riffs ala Maiden/Metallica where there is much muting and galloping going on. That is why I like the tighter punchier sound of the 30's.

Latest posts

Back