Using guitar synth effects with a MarkIV..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petejt

Reaction score
Is this okay? this may seem dumb, but I am not sure.

Would a guitar synth effect unit sound fine in front of this amp? Or would it need to be in the effects loop?

And if in the effects loop, would the effect need a buffer sort of thing to step down the signal so it will work okay?

I've read that some parametric EQs need a special device to bring down the signal when coming from the effects send of a MarkIIC+, and of course put it back up again to line level for the effects return.

My GR33 doesn't sound very good to me through the front or through the loop of my MarkIII. It'll do in a pinch, but I prefer to go through the PA or a med/large keyboard amp. I guess it depends on the patches you use most.

you will probably want to use it with a solid state guitar amp like a roland jc-90 or 120 or go direct into the PA. with synthesizers you want to go into something with the flattest frequency response possible. tube amps are very pleasing to the ear because they compliment the tone of an electric guitar, but their freq. response is by no means flat.

**** that sucks :( . I was hoping on using the MarkIV for some whacked-out synthy distorted tones (not the funky clean-tone 70s style stuff). Make for some interesting textures with its awesome distortion & unique graphic EQ.

I'm sure that Kirk Hammett of Metallica used the Roland VG-8 with old Marshall amps mic-ed up. Surely it could work with a Boogie?

I don't want to buy another amp just to run an effect. I am already planning on getting another valve amp to complement the MarkIV's tone.

A guitar synth really needs a full range amp (keyboard or pa) to sound it's best. Some of those sound patches (especially the bass tones) can potentially damage your amp because it's speakers were selected with guitar frequencies in mind.

It might be ok if you stick with tones that are similar in range to guitar tones.

Valtyr said:
A guitar synth really needs a full range amp (keyboard or pa) to sound it's best. Some of those sound patches (especially the bass tones) can potentially damage your amp because it's speakers were selected with guitar frequencies in mind.

It might be ok if you stick with tones that are similar in range to guitar tones.

what about using the Roland Jazz Chorus 120watt combo amp?

Latest posts

Back