Using an external EQ with a Mark V - is it necessary?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zilla

Reaction score
When I run a boss EQ pedal in the loop it *completely* changes the sound of this amp and i can't imagine ever running this amp without the EQ.

Do any of you guys run an EQ in the loop of the Mark V or do you let the sliders do all of the work?

I hate Boss EQ. It´s not true bypass, and that alone is an EQ... I have one for sale, when i got the tone i wanted i realized it was the tone of the amp without the bloody pedal...

Sliders only for me too. Before I got the Mark V I had an LSS. I also have a friend with an LSS.

We got together one day with both amps an a/b box, a presonus parametric eq, and an EHX graphicfuzz eq.

We spent all day, and I mean 12 hours at least just playing with eq settings on one amp and the knob settings on the other and a/b-ing them to see how close we could get the non-eq'd amp to sound like the amp that had one of the other eq's on it.

The end result was that with the graphicfuzz which we turned the fuzz feature off. We could get the non-eq'd lss to sound **** near identical. One of us would sit blind and couldn't tell between the two. With the parametric eq it was a little different. You could tell a difference between the amps but at the end of the day neither of us really felt the difference warranted the need for the pedal or in the presonus case it's a mini rack unit.

So after that my eq pedal went by-by due to my belief that the less things in the chain the better. The Lss is gone now and I'm in Mark V slider only heaven.

sliders only for me. i also have a boss GE-7, which ive used to slightly scoop out my marshall as well. ive come to the conclusion that in both cases, i like the way the amp sounds by itself - the way it was meant to sound.

I used to run an MXR 10 band in my FX loop. I stopped because I thought it compressed the amp way too much and I really started to dig the amp without it. I sold the EQ and never looked back!

That's interesting that you guys strictly use the sliders, I would be interested to know what you guys play and some of the settings you guys use. With Channel 3 I usually get a tone out of the amp that I really like and then I try not to mess to much with the settings on the amp itself and instead use a PreSonus EQ3B in the FX Loop to kind of alter the tone from there, scoop out a little bit more of the midrange and add some highs for clarity and some lows to kind of thicken up the tone or whatever I'm after at any given point. Channel 1 and 2 seem to be fine on their own so I don't really EQ much in those channels.

I think when I first got the Mark V I wasn't as familiar with what it can really do like I am now so in a lot of ways I have backed off the EQ to a large extent. Lately I have really been loving the Extreme voicing and have really backed off the EQ and I'm loving the sound, so who knows. I personally don't see anything wrong with EQing, kind of lets you add an even more personal touch to already great tones in the case of the Mark V.

BrownieD2W said:
That's interesting that you guys strictly use the sliders, I would be interested to know what you guys play and some of the settings you guys use. With Channel 3 I usually get a tone out of the amp that I really like and then I try not to mess to much with the settings on the amp itself and instead use a PreSonus EQ3B in the FX Loop to kind of alter the tone from there, scoop out a little bit more of the midrange and add some highs for clarity and some lows to kind of thicken up the tone or whatever I'm after at any given point. Channel 1 and 2 seem to be fine on their own so I don't really EQ much in those channels.

I think when I first got the Mark V I wasn't as familiar with what it can really do like I am now so in a lot of ways I have backed off the EQ to a large extent. Lately I have really been loving the Extreme voicing and have really backed off the EQ and I'm loving the sound, so who knows. I personally don't see anything wrong with EQing, kind of lets you add an even more personal touch to already great tones in the case of the Mark V.
Do you play with a band or by yourself? Additional eq sounds cool when playing along to a cd or alone but you'll be burried by the drums and a bass player.

ryjan said:
Do you play with a band or by yourself? Additional eq sounds cool when playing along to a cd or alone but you'll be burried by the drums and a bass player.

Well now that you mention it I have started playing with a drummer the past 3 months or so and have backed off the EQing a lot more even in that time. I was worried about that, and so far my tones seem to sit alright with a drummer, but I have yet to play with a bass player as well so I am not sure about that yet. I was worried for awhile that my sound was to scooped, and to bassy, and since I kind of knew ahead of time that I was going to be playing with a drummer I did start to kind of rework most of my settings and lately I have liked them much more but I haven't really gotten to play a gig or anything quite yet.

At this point the few people that have heard us just kind of messing around have said they could hear me just fine in conjunction with the drummer, so hopefully I can find a bass player soon and refine the sound even more so I wouldn't get lost in the mix.

Just judging off your comment I assume you play in a band so I would be curious to see what your settings are, primarily with Channel 2 and 3 since I spend more time in those channels than Channel 1. I have been wondering a lot lately about the changes that have to get made when playing with a band in a gig setting so if you have examples that would be helpful in the future.

And I apologize if this derails the original post, hopefully it will still be helpful to some extent.

I also used to use an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop of my other amps. But on the Mark V, the sliders on the dirt channels and the Preset Depth knob on the clean channel get me all the EQ I need.

EQ is the secret to unlocking the tonal power of the Mark V (it's true of all amps, really, but MUCH MORE SO for the Mark V). Watching some good videos on settings is a great start, but afterwards, just trial and error will get you where you want to be.

But please avoid the HUGE mistakes I made the first time I played the Mark V - don't forget that small changes on the channel EQ knobs can make BIG tonal changes. I was a Marshall kinda guy for 30 years. The first time I played the Mark V, I tried a setting, didn't like it, then made huge changes to the EQ, didn't like it, etc. After about a minute of this, I was convinced the amp held nothing for me.

It was more than 6 months later before I tried another Mark V, but this time, I was more educated on how to use the channel EQs. Also, on how to use them in connection with the Global EQ. It made all the difference in the world.

Just judging off your comment I assume you play in a band so I would be curious to see what your settings are, primarily with Channel 2 and 3 since I spend more time in those channels than Channel 1. I have been wondering a lot lately about the changes that have to get made when playing with a band in a gig setting so if you have examples that would be helpful in the future.
I've messed with my buddy's V but most of my experience has been with the Mark IV. I've found that the flatter the EQ curve the better in a full band mix. Translated to channel 3 on a Mark V in Mark IV mode it would be like
G 2:00
T 2:00
M 11:00
B 8:00
P 10:00

Eq in a very slight v curve. With the 750 slider just under the centerline and everything else just over the centerline.
This setup with a 4x12 cab gave me a great chugging rhythm that stayed smooth through the occasional single note run and made every other instrument in the band it's ***** in the mix. 8)

I use a GE-7 sometimes for an extra bass boost and mid scoop for metal. More like a Sad-But-True tone. I only do this when i'm practicing at low volumes. I don't much like it playing live or practicing with my band as too much mid scoop will not give you a good place in the mix. I like scooped mids and lots of mids too. The 100 to 126 hz frequencies i find to be the best sound to my ears for a punchy bass for metal. The 800 and 700 hz frequencies are the best scooping areas for me. But like i said, i don't use it when i'm pushing the amp a lot when i'm competing with a bass, second guitarist, drums, and vocals. Not enough mids can loose me my spot in the mix. Too much bass at high volumes could damage the speakers.

With that, I pretty much love my Mark V as is.

Back