''Using American mains vintage Boogies''

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartchamdoh

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of confusion on using Boogies(and other American guitar amps) that run on the American mains system. First off if you are lucky enough to have an export transformer on your amp simply turn the chicken head knob to the correct voltage and then make sure the slo blo fuse has the correct value( labled below the fuse!) i set mine to 240v and the fuse should be 1.5a.If your amp has the American system plug you will also need an adapter for our sockets!No export transformer means you will have to buy a step down transformer to run the amp at its native 117 volts(make sure the wattage is higher than your amp so you don,t burn out the amps transformer) using a little higher value wont hurt but there,s no need to go crazy( i use a step down transformer rated for a 100 watts for my 60 watt boogie)i say this because on a thread that i,ve just read someone recomended a 500 watt transformer!!!There is no need to change your fuse rating on the amp it,s still running on 117volts!(some people recomend changing the fuse rating....DON,T DO IT!!!)Lastly it is recomended to disconect the ground switch on your amp as there is a slight risk of electrical shock when using the uk mains as opposed to the usa if there is a power surge(to do this simlpy remove the amp from the chassis and snip the middle wire running from the back of the switch)Having done all that plug in switch on and your ready to roll.

You have to match stepdown with the input power requirement of the amp. The 60w in your amp is output power. A 60w amp will probably have a 2A fuse so input power can be estimated by 2A x 120v = 240w. You'll need at least 300w stepdown. The 100w stepdown will probably work if you're not cranking the amp.

yeah there is a different between input voltage and output wattage as i said on the other page we were talk about.

All good!

:D

Tom

Back