Using a stereo cab with two heads

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have got to be kidding me. The statement stands.

Stephen - you can ground your heads through the input jack if you want to, all I did was teach how to do it properly for the OTHER people here.

Now I'm asking you nicely to please STOP recommending / endorsing / whatever the three-to-two prong method.

Also, for crying out loud,

EDUCATE YOURSELF. Preferably before giving advice on how other people treat their equipment.

If your advice ends up breaking someone's amp, that's simply not cool.

Just because something seemingly works doesn't mean it's safe to do. I've never seen that article before, didn't even know there were articles on the subject (because, seriously, this is just common sense in the electrical world), but I took a second to find one especially for you to change the way you give advice since you obviously won't take my word for it. If you look, I'm sure you can find more articles on the subject, even specifically geared towards playing multiple instrument amps with one instrument.

I'll say it one more time though just in case someone out there is reading this and will take my word for it.

:!: DO NOT PLUG EXPENSIVE AMPLIFIERS INTO THREE-TO-TWO PRONG ADAPTERS. :!:

I already explained this in my previous post. If you don't have a power conditioner (or at least a decent surge protector), or if you don't have an adequate method for splitting your guitar's signal to multiple amplifiers (and there have been multiple devices that do just that suggested here - see bduersch's post or my previous post), you have no business running multiple amplifiers, unless you don't care if any single one of the amplifiers you're running through is permanently damaged. The only time you would ever consider using a three-to-two prong adapter is if you don't have one of the two things I just said.

That's why we seek advice in the first place before doing new things with our amps, and it would really blow if we couldn't trust our own community members to be knowledgeable about what they're talking about. Because, hark, we actually care about our investments - both tonal and monetary.

Maybe you know a thing or two about Mesa Boogies and your knowledge might be of use to somebody here, but please don't advise people on subjects in which you are uneducated.

Here's the link in text form in case you somehow missed it: http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/connecting-your-system/ground-loops-eliminating-system-hum-and-buzz

Audioholics said:
NEVER use a three prong to two prong AC adapter to fix a ground loop problem. These devices are meant to provide a safety ground (via the cover plate screw to a grounded outlet) in the event a three prong plug is used with a two prong outlet. It is always best to lift the ground safely at line levels.

In my opinion, it would be really nice if you would edit or delete all of your comments that state otherwise to prevent future confusion in the event that somebody does a search, finds this thread, and doesn't read it all the way to the second page. Notice how much more colorful this post is than any other post I've ever made here - that's because I've never been rubbed the wrong way in this community, nor have I ever seen anyone in this community tell another member it's okay to do something that someone already said not to do in bright red with exclamation marks on both sides of the sentence in the same thread.

Now - if you'd read my other post instead of just quoting it and saying I'm wrong, you'll discover HOW to "lift the ground safely at line levels" for guitar and bass amplifiers.

:roll:

My post remains just as valid as before you made those three threads, regardless of whatever talk may go on inside them.

And I'm sorry, but as long as you continue to press the subject, it appears as if you don't "not want to see any one hurt or do damage to their gear". Quite the opposite. Some could get away with doing it your way for 20 years before you noticing any damage. Others will notice the damage within a matter of hours. It has to do with the cleanliness of the electricity in your area.

If you do this, and some dirty electricity gets through that would have been protected by a ground, bye-bye beautiful amplifier. So, drop it. I already explained how to properly use multiple amplifiers.

Latest posts

Back