Using A Good Tube driver pedal WIth STIletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferdeac

Reaction score
Has anybody here had the opportunity to experiment with a Tube driver pedal in the the clean channel of their stiletto. I am considering selling off my carvin legacy combo amp to purchase a really good tube driver pedal. Although I love my carvin amp's unique voicing, I enjoy the overall versatility of tones i am now able to achieve with my ace head and rectifier cab. I really enjoy the fat clean mode on the clean channel of this amp. So much so that i think I could really dig using a good vintage sounding tube driver pedal in conjunction with this channel to add a little bit of dirt to it. Adding a little bit more tonal versatility to a pretty versatile amp would be a great novelty that I think I could utilize. I have been doing some research on various vintage sounding/ true bypass type pedals and would just appreciate some opinions on this subject matter. Another thing, from a pure sonic tonal standpoint i really enjoy listening to Eric Johnson, Andy timmons, and SRV.

I use a Maxon OD808 with my Deuce. It works with both the clean and dirty channel in similar settings, but it excells at boosting a dirty channel. As far as tube screamers go- it is the best unmodded TS on the market. This is the TS that all others strive to be.

Thanks. Have you ever had a chance to play around with a BK butler tube driver. I have heard they are pretty nice and vintage sounding.

surferdeac said:
Thanks. Have you ever had a chance to play around with a BK butler tube driver. I have heard they are pretty nice and vintage sounding.

Isn't that what Andy Timmons uses with his Stiletto? (that and one of the BB preamp pedals?)

--B

surferdeac said:
Isn't that what Andy Timmons uses with his Stiletto? (that and one of the BB preamp pedals?)

I am not entirely sure but i think he may use a Chandler tube driver. Or at least i thought thats what it was seeing i went to one of his guitar clinics. when i see someone of that musical calibur, looking and analyzing at the types of equipment he was using takes a back seat to simply closing your eyes and listening/feeling the music which is what i ended up doing at his clinic most of the time. Hell, he plays with his eyes closed most of the time

Its awsome that he has the balls and courage to share his musical virtuosity with all of us :)

I have many OD's and my fav for the stilettos is the Timmy and the CTO-1. All the tubescreamer type peds Ive used suck too much lowend out and add too much mid honk. At least my OD808, Dirty Little Sectret, and Keeley SD-1 do. The Timmy and its $40 Danelectro clone (the CTO-1) keep the bottom very thick and have a much higher output than the TS variants. This is awesome for high gain metal AND low gain blues. If you are not dead set on an actual "tube" OD, I recommend trying the CTO for $40. If you dig it, upgrade to the Paul C. Timmy or Tim.

Make sure you get one of the orginal Cool Cat CTO's and not the new "V2" version.

I use a Lovepedal Eternity and it works great. I also play an Ace head through a 4x12 Rectifier cab

When Andy Timmons did the Stiletto demo on the MESA website, he was using an old Tube Works Tube Driver. Sounds great but they don't make them any more. Check out the demo. Maybe you can find one on EBay or somewhere.

I had one of the newer ones and it was a TURD!!!! Model 911. Bad sounds no matter the tube I used. I tried many types of tubes from new to vintage with no luck. Bitter and harsh. Older units are said to be much better.

Back