UPS for Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJWickens

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Dual Rec. But I also have a major issue. I live in area with frequent and unpredictable power outages. So I'm thinking about buying a UPS so that I can just safely power down the amp when the power goes down. The problem is, I don't know what size UPS to get. Any suggestions? Any thing specific to look for?

Thanx

I think that that is a great idea. In addition to backing up power, a lot of them balance and regulate incoming power. Making it more consistent I think you should get at least a 1000va or bigger.

The only thing that would concern me is that a lot of the consumer grade ones put out a modified sine wave rather than a pure sine wave. I not sure that it would matter but the modified sine wave may affect your tone.

LJWickens said:
Hi

I have a Dual Rec. But I also have a major issue. I live in area with frequent and unpredictable power outages. So I'm thinking about buying a UPS so that I can just safely power down the amp when the power goes down. The problem is, I don't know what size UPS to get. Any suggestions? Any thing specific to look for?

Thanx
Welcome to the forum.

IMO a UPS is unnecessary. To the amp, a complete power outage is the same as simply flipping the power switch to off. There is no need to use standby to power down, only to warm up for playing. There are no micro-processors in the amp.

Brownouts on the other hand could be an issue, but that would require a voltage regulator.

Dom

Yo may be able to get an outlet/breaker box that switches power off in a brownout condition. Something like that would be a lot less expensive than a UPS or regulator.

High end UPS's are often equipped with a power conditioning feature which would be ideal. This ensures a constant and steady flow of power to the devices which are plugged into it; eliminating power spikes and dips. I doubt you will find it on any UPS that you may buy at staples or box stores. My guess is that you wouldn't want to pay for it, but I haven't researched what's out there. A voltage regulator may be a more cost effective option.

Why not just get yourself a simple Juice Goose, or the Furman equivalent? They are essentially what you are looking for but designed for music equipment. They don't have the battery backup, but I would rely on one of these before anything designed for office equipment.

Latest posts

Back