Upgrading from T Rec to RK II?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeunit

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been playing my t rec for about 3 three years now. I'm playing in a band that that goes from 50's R&R to pantara heavy. My t rec does the heavy stuff great but the clean stuff and the 50's stuff sound like ****. The amp is too fucking gainy, it's either clean and quite, or too saturated. I've been gigging for 23 years and have had the marshalls, Hiwatts etc. I've just started working up for gigs after a 3 year lay off and the rec doesn't seem to be cutting it.

I'm wondering if the RKII is worth the upgrade? I'm really pulling my hair out and am considering an XTC, but the RKII seems more versitile and cheaper.

At this point I can get a great trade on my rec, but I don't want to sign up for the same gain machiane that my rec is. I love the gain but only use it 5% of the time.

What I need is great clean, and vintage Marshall tones/AC 30 tones, and fucking heavy tones. Am I asking too much from a single amp?

At this point $$ aren't really the primary concern, I just want a super versitile and GREAT sounding amp.

Any help would be great bros

The RK (and Roadster for that matter) has great Fender-like cleans, and massive Recto-style overdrive. For Marshally tones with decent cleans look at the Stiletto (can get f'in heavy with an OD pedal). Versatility with a different flavor than RK/Recto...Mark IV.

That said, you can get some great "in-between" tones from your Triple on CH2-vintage and -raw with some patient knob-twisting. Make sure to try some different or unconventional settings before you give up on the Recto. They are great amps, and you might regret getting rid of it.

homeunit said:
Hey all,
I've been playing my t rec for about 3 three years now. I'm playing in a band that that goes from 50's R&R to pantara heavy. My t rec does the heavy stuff great but the clean stuff and the 50's stuff sound like sh!t. The amp is too f%&# gainy, it's either clean and quite, or too saturated. I've been gigging for 23 years and have had the marshalls, Hiwatts etc. I've just started working up for gigs after a 3 year lay off and the rec doesn't seem to be cutting it.

I'm wondering if the RKII is worth the upgrade? I'm really pulling my hair out and am considering an XTC, but the RKII seems more versitile and cheaper.

At this point I can get a great trade on my rec, but I don't want to sign up for the same gain machiane that my rec is. I love the gain but only use it 5% of the time.

What I need is great clean, and vintage Marshall tones/AC 30 tones, and f%&# heavy tones. Am I asking too much from a single amp?

At this point $$ aren't really the primary concern, I just want a super versitile and GREAT sounding amp.

Any help would be great bros

Sounds like you need to demo a Road king since you require that much versatility

NoGlassNoClass said:
The RK (and Roadster for that matter) has great Fender-like cleans, and massive Recto-style overdrive. For Marshally tones with decent cleans look at the Stiletto (can get f'in heavy with an OD pedal). Versatility with a different flavor than RK/Recto...Mark IV.

That said, you can get some great "in-between" tones from your Triple on CH2-vintage and -raw with some patient knob-twisting. Make sure to try some different or unconventional settings before you give up on the Recto. They are great amps, and you might regret getting rid of it.

I don't use the modern setting on the rec at all. It's either the raw or vintage modes. What I'm finding is that it's either razor crunchy or weak sounding. I play les paul style guitars with low output p/u's (Seths or 59s). They're very warm and toneful guitars and have sounding amazing through Marshall and other amps.

I'm a knob twister and have messed around with big gain, little gain, high mids, TS9s etc. It just seems like it's either weak or thin and gainy. With heavier tones it's sounding like a tele, or mud??

Is the RK capable of Marshall-like tones, or is it a t-rec with EL34 options and an extra channel?
thanks guys.

Have you tried EL-34s in your t-rec? Maybe that would help you get the best of both worlds.

I have a buddy that works at a Mesa Dealer. Rich Longacre was there a week or so ago.

Channel one on the RKII and Roadster is the clean from a Lonestar. Channel 2 is like a Stiletto and 3 and 4 are yor typical DR tones.

I want a Roadster badly

Rocky said:
I have a buddy that works at a Mesa Dealer. Rich Longacre was there a week or so ago.

Channel one on the RKII and Roadster is the clean from a Lonestar. Channel 2 is like a Stiletto and 3 and 4 are yor typical DR tones.

I want a Roadster badly

I have a couple freinds that work for mesa and this info is correct although channel two is not exactly like the Stiletto but closer to it than RK series I . I get a pretty fat sound in channel 4 with my Les Paul . It has Duncan 59s in it . My RK is series I.
Homeunit may want to demo the Stiletto, LoneStar and the Road King. They all bring different things to the table .

Back