Upgrade to a real Floyd Rose?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boola

Reaction score
Hi,

I have Jackson DKMG which is a brilliant guitar but I THINK the bridge is adding a slight metallic edge to the notes.

I'm wondering if upgrading the bridge to a real floyd rose will possibly help with this?

Also, will putting 4 springs inside instead of 2 help with the problem that when I bend a string, the other ringing strings going out of tune?

Has anyone done an upgrade from a Floyd Rose licensed to a REAL one? Is it worthwhile?

Thanks!

+1 on it adding a metallic edge to the notes

I had the exact same guitar (trans red, beautiful flame) and upgraded to an original FR because it was creaking and notes werent sustaining and have never looked back. It solved both problems plus the metally sound is gone

I put a OFR on my Ibanez RG470, and i really like it. The feel is very sturdy and it seems nicely made, way better than the POS Ibz TRS II Lo-Pro bridge. One thing i still need to do is get some shims to match the radius of the Ibanez wizard II neck, so that I can lower the action even more. (Floyds come with something around a 12" radius I believe and the ibanez is around 14", so the difference makes the high and low "E" strings sit lower than they should since the curvature of the floyd is more than the flatter neck, and thus if I lowered the action to where it could be if the radii matched, it frets out when doing up-pulls on the bar). SO, with all that said, check the radius specs on the Jackson neck, and have the floyd adjusted to match it so that the guitar can be set up properly. ALSO, make sure to have the guitar intonated, otherwise it will not go into tune properly. (and if you do the install/setup yourself like i did, it takes quite a bit of patience).

The only things that will help you with multi-stringed bends with a floating tremolo like the OFR is something like a Hipshot Tremsetter. Do some research on those, you might find that that is what you are looking for.

-AJH

Great replies guys, thanks very much! The next thing to get is the Floyd Rose for sure and maybe a Tremsetter too!

Depending on your string gauge, I would have at least three springs for a set of .009's, and four for a set of .010's. It might feel a little tight at first but sprigs do break in. Be sure to measure center to center on the posts when ordering, I kind of made the mistake once or twice. As for the creaking noise, use a little Tri-Flow or Nut Sauce. Rock On!

I would do some research on the current production Floyd Rose as the quality seems to be less than usable, out of the box. Most Floyd guitars have a 16" radius (430mm) so you should check to see what your guitar has before buying. Suhr doesn't use the OFR anymore because of the quality issues and has since switched to the Gotoh Floyd, which many are claiming as to be the best current production Floyd. I just bought one on ebay for my Vai cheapo copy so I am not speaking from first hand experience yet. I do own a Peavey Wolfgang Special and Peavey Tracer (shred 90's guitar) though and they both have the gotoh. I never really agressively used the bridges on those guitar but probably will on the Jem copy.

The general consensus

Original Floyd - Terrible current production
Schaller - Terrible current production
Gotoh - seems to be the bridge of choice nowadays

Greg

boola said:
Great replies guys, thanks very much! The next thing to get is the Floyd Rose for sure and maybe a Tremsetter too!

Don't forget the Tremol-No !

http://www.tremol-no.com/

Lock up the Tremolo and double stop licks stay in pitch !! In dive only mode you'll stay in tune if you break a string, and unlocked it's my full floating OFR.

Dom

domct203 said:
boola said:

Don't forget the Tremol-No !

http://www.tremol-no.com/

Lock up the Tremolo and double stop licks stay in pitch !! In dive only mode you'll stay in tune if you break a string, and unlocked it's my full floating OFR.

Dom

+1 Forgot to mention the tremol no

I bought one for the Jem and a RG 7 string. No first hand experience yet but it's worth the $50 or so to try.

Greg

I have a few Prestige Ibanez's, but I also came across a cheap RG270 that actually has an awesome neck. Totally straight, and the guitar surprisingly sounds really good too. I threw an original Floyd on it and it's awesome. I like it so much that I had it refinished and dropped in some EMG's. I also can't say enough good things about the Tremol-no.

Latest posts

Back