Unusual LSS bi-amp partner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmerel

Reaction score
Just out of interest, I tried bi-amping my LSS with the Ampeg SVT3 Pro bass head and Hartke 15" speaker cabinet with aluminium cone speaker in it (I started out as a bass player).

Talk about amazing clean tones - what a combination.

I guess that the additional 450 watt clean headroom might have something to do with it, and the bass oriented speaker must round out the frequency spectrum.

So if you have an LSS and want the mix of sparkling clean with much, much higher headroom than you could ever need and deeper bass fundamentals, plug into a bass amp at the same time. Unorthodox, but it works.

timmerel, very interesting. How are you taking the signal from the LSS for the 2nd amp? Out of the slave, or split off from the fx send? If the former, I would think the signal would already be colored with whatever distortion was present from the LSS power amp? i.e. the extra clean headroom wouldn't get you anything because it already hit the LSS power section distorted. If off the fx send, yea that idea is interesting because you get the clean preamp and probably get virtually no power amp distortion.

I've tried two approaches:

1 - ABY pedal (so 2 independent signals from the same guitar - LSS for tone and bass amp for extra headroom and bass)
2 - LSS slave out into bass amp power amp in - so effectively a 480 watt LSS. Don't need to use many of the LSS' power amp watts for this approach, so can run it very clean.

I haven't tried using the 15" speaker as a second cabinet from the LSS yet, which i suspect would also be quite nice.

I've tried the LSS effect send output into other amp inputs before with mixed results. Basically the preamp by itself requires a really good tube power amp to sound good. May as well buy a Lonestar Classic for that approach!

Latest posts

Back