Unreal Gibson Alex Lifeson ES-355

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
212Mavguy said:
For players that like Gibson guitars it is possible to get similar guitars made in the old Gibson factory in Kalamazoo by some of the old guys who built the Gibsons that made the company famous. They bought the plant because they did not want to move their families when Gibson sold to another company, http://www.heritageguitar.com the Heritage guitars have nicer woods and craftsmanship, and cost less to obtain new or used. I have two, a 555 select woods package/Seth Lovers and a Millennium 2000 limited edition ultra/Lindy Fralins. Both are amazing sounding and looking instruments. 3800 bucks will buy a superior guitar from Heritage when compared to same cost of a Gibson...

I was unaware of that . Nice of you to share that . Never shall I buy a Gibson . A LP custom is 3900.00 now , two years
ago they were 3k . The quality keeps going down . Makes sense that the " older " luthiers would make better instruments
then the new people there . It is all marketing .

" Live and Learn ,, and some just Live "

Wow, sorry to hear about that. That is a real bummer and I can see how it would be obtrusive while playing. I'm getting annoyed just looking at it. :wink: :(

I cannot see how PRS missed the boat with an Alex Lifeson signature model and endorsement. I know Alex played Gibson's long before PRS guitars, but Alex started using PRS in the mid 80's clear up until a few years ago when he went completely with Gibson.

As others have mentioned, Gibson's QC has gone way down over the last 10+ years. You're basically buying a name and a trademark at this point. I don't know of many devout Gibson players that play a Gibson made in the last 10-15 years.

I hate to start the whole PRS vs. Gibson debate (because it seems to come up often) but whether you like PRS guitars or not, most could not argue that PRS has far superior quality control. 2 of the 3 PRS guitars I own were ordered sight-unseen and I was not disappointed with any of them. I never bought into the school of thought that you should have to play a dozen Gibson's to find the one "that speaks to you". BS. That's just another way of saying that 11 out of 12 sound/play like garbage. Unacceptable to me.

Like others have said, I would try to flip it on eBay.

G.I.G. said:
Wow, sorry to hear about that. That is a real bummer and I can see how it would be obtrusive while playing. I'm getting annoyed just looking at it. :wink: :(

I cannot see how PRS missed the boat with an Alex Lifeson signature model and endorsement. I know Alex played Gibson's long before PRS guitars, but Alex started using PRS in the mid 80's clear up until a few years ago when he went completely with Gibson.

As others have mentioned, Gibson's QC has gone way down over the last 10+ years. You're basically buying a name and a trademark at this point. I don't know of many devout Gibson players that play a Gibson made in the last 10-15 years.

I hate to start the whole PRS vs. Gibson debate (because it seems to come up often) but whether you like PRS guitars or not, most could not argue that PRS has far superior quality control. 2 of the 3 PRS guitars I own were ordered sight-unseen and I was not disappointed with any of them. I never bought into the school of thought that you should have to play a dozen Gibson's to find the one "that speaks to you". BS. That's just another way of saying that 11 out of 12 sound/play like garbage. Unacceptable to me.

Like others have said, I would try to flip it on eBay.

Thanks for your thoughts . The Volute on the AL-355 is a " dummy " to make it period correct ( 1970s ) era .
Yet it is in a spot where taking it off might cause problems down the years . The old volutes that were behind
the truss rod , were there to make it stronger where it was carved out in the front . With the new angle
of the headstocks that solved the problem .
I have seen some on ebay from the sellers that buy them , hoping to make a profit , there were only 300 made .
The most I have seen one go for was 2900.00 plus shipping . I will probably wait and hope it goes up .
I cannot see how Gibson considers this NOT a defect . They even shut down the 36 page forum on the volute
as there " Has been a resolution , the neck is how the artist wanted it ."

" Hold the 355 high in hand "

LerxstLee said:
R_ADKINS80 said:
Hmmm i guess i'm the only one that doesn't see a problem. My ESP has the volute in the same spot and I hardly notice it.

You cannot see the difference in the volutes position on the '70s red neck ( no not me the red neck , the guitar )
and the new white AL-355 s ? there is a line on the first side marker to help . :shock:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb206/RareFormMusic/DSC00186compred.jpg

Oh no not at all man, I see the difference between the two necks. What I meant was I don't see a problem with the valute on the white one. It's pretty much the same spot as the volute on my ESP and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Knowing what I know about Alex I can promise you that he wants a quality product if his name is going to be attached. As someone mentioned, I am sure that he is bound by contract to not criticise. Yes, PRS completely missed the boat on doing a signature model for Lerxst. If a guy for 3 Doors Down can get a signature model then for love of all that is holy why not Alex? That is crazy. Gibson has had issues for about a decade now. Of course I am a PRS addict and have been extremely happy. BTW, Alex was the guy that got me interested in PRS.

Okay, let's not get all down on Gibson now. I've got two Custom Shop Historic reissues that are beautiful in playability and appearance. Yes, they have put out some real crap over the years but I think they have also produced a lot of very fine insturments. I will even go so far as to say that they have produced more very fine specimens than not.

My 2 cents.

Dusty Rhodes said:
Okay, let's not get all down on Gibson now. I've got two Custom Shop Historic reissues that are beautiful in playability and appearance. Yes, they have put out some real crap over the years but I think they have also produced a lot of very fine insturments. I will even go so far as to say that they have produced more very fine specimens than not.

My 2 cents.

They do have some very fine specimens . Yet why should you have to play twelve Les Pauls' to find one that is
almost ok ?
Please take notice of the huge price increase Gibson just had . Then go to the stores and why are most if not all
eventually 50% of list . I am not talking one or two models , Just go to close outs on most websites and there they all
not scratch N dent but Price reductions . Considering Gibson is a B discount item (dealer pays 40% off list not 50% like
an A discount ) They sadly are falling behind . How much competition does it take ?
So they get creative , really , a backwards flying V , dah , those are stockpiled and less than half price .
The robots follow suit . Then WOW a digital guitar , did'nt Rolland try that 20 years ago and is still trying , yet
gibson thinks this is new . Along with most artist models . Most do not pre order artist models any longer
due to the fact that the quality assurance is not there .
Just my unforgiving thoughts on Gibson still trying to use the name to make cash and it seems to be slowing down
for them , again look at the Slash guitar , Gibson was doing a countdown for months to the release . Now you can
buy them in the Price reductions .

On another note my binding is starting to come undone on the Alex Lifeson Es-355 and the glue is really shining through.
" Quality control it is " 24/7 to get an idiot on the phone to say never heard about that I will look into it ."
I won't be the only one sending mine in to get " repaired " , I do know that the instruments that
were worth keeping had a reason . They were built by experienced Luthiers . Now I have a Guitar
that cost $3800.00 dollars , and after gibson hacks the repairs it will be worth pennies on a dollar ,
no modified guitar keeps value , even when the maker fixes the F-Ups , Gibson lost most of the
proffesional luthiers in the 1970s.

You can bet the historic reissues won't be around in 50 years like the originals .
Most know that by now .

" Hold the red flag high in hand "

/cheers

Noonoo said:
Knowing what I know about Alex I can promise you that he wants a quality product if his name is going to be attached. As someone mentioned, I am sure that he is bound by contract to not criticise. Yes, PRS completely missed the boat on doing a signature model for Lerxst. If a guy for 3 Doors Down can get a signature model then for love of all that is holy why not Alex? That is crazy. Gibson has had issues for about a decade now. Of course I am a PRS addict and have been extremely happy. BTW, Alex was the guy that got me interested in PRS.

Alex is aware of this and as Rush did 3 years of extensive touring , he has his cash . A PRS model would be great .
PRS quality is great . I have seen some great items from PRS SE and CE line for heavens sake .
Almost makes me think someone who worked for GIbson in the 1960s might have started PRS guitars :arrow: :idea:
Had to hurt Gibson if they Sued PRS and no one else .
Wait I think someone did quit Gibson and started PRS :lol:

/cheers mate

You can bet the historic reissues won't be around in 50 years like the originals .
Most know that by now .

??? Explain that one to me. That doesn't make any sense.

Dusty Rhodes said:
Most know that by now .

:shock: :?

I will give it a shot but if you do not make the connection now I am not sure you will after /

EX : 1959 les pauls are highly coveted and highly expensive if you can even find or afford one .
If you get one they are still playable .
It is MY bet that a 1959 REISSUE wont be around in the year 2059 and still be useable or coveted . :arrow: :idea:

REISSUES and ORIGINALS . The 1959 originals may still be around in 2059 , I doubt
the Reissues from the year 2009 will be .

I hope that kind of sort of maybe helps . :eek: :roll:

I don't always word my statements they way I would like to .
Yet I think the analogy was not too confusing .

LerxstLee said:
Dusty Rhodes said:
Most know that by now .

I will give it a shot but if you do not make the connection now I am not sure you will after /

EX : 1959 les pauls are highly coveted and highly expensive if you can even find or afford one .
It is MY bet that a 1959 REISSUE wont be around in the year 2059 and still be useable or coveted . :arrow: :idea:

REISSUES and ORIGINALS . The 1959 originals may still be around in 2059 , I doubt

You state that reissues won't be around in fifty years but have not provided any supporting evidence or basis for that statement. That's my point. :?

I think he's just stating that in his opinion, the build quality of the average Gibson is significantly lower now than it was in 1959. If this is true, then it stands to reason that some of the current reissues may not make it 50 years...and the ones that do will not hold the same kind of reverence as a 1959 Gibson does today.

He's just voicing an opinion that many others share today, and i don't think he needs any supporting evidence to back it up.

MF said:
I think he's just stating that in his opinion, the build quality of the average Gibson is significantly lower now than it was in 1959. If this is true, then it stands to reason that some of the current reissues may not make it 50 years...and the ones that do will not hold the same kind of reverence as a 1959 Gibson does today.

He's just voicing an opinion that many others share today, and i don't think he needs any supporting evidence to back it up.

Thanks MF ,
I will send you my post first , pay you to edit them . :idea:

J/K
/cheers & Thanks

LerxstLee said:
MF said:

Thanks MF ,
I will send you my post first , pay you to edit them . :idea:

J/K
/cheers & Thanks

I know that was an opinion and that's all I was trying to get you to say. :wink: I didn't want to create a huge debate over it. But you must agree that when you make any kind of blanket statement that someone will eventually ask "Where's your supporting data?". I on the other hand think my '57 historic reissues WILL be around for a very long time. Afterall a solid body electric guitar is basically just two pieces of wood either bolted or glued together. There just isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with them over time. I have a 1973 Stratocster which I bought new in '73 and it's still perfect in every respect. The '70's were the absolute WORST years for Gibson and Fender yet my '73 Strat after 36 years still looks and plays beautifully and have no doubt it will make it well past the 50 year mark. With that said, there is no reason why my LP's will not be around a very long time after I am gone.

I love talking about guitars and enjoyed our volly on this particualr subject. Thanks for listening to my opinons as well.

^^^ agreed

My custom shop VOS R0 is the best guitar I've ever played, not even owned and I've owned a PRS single cut, 2 ce's, a USA dean hardtail, 2 les paul classics, a Gibson explorer (still own it, another killer guitar) an 80's tokai, ESP, USA and MIJ Jackson, 80's kramers, a Carvin made to my specs, etc... Also played Andersons, a slew of other PRS, and a Suhr, a late 60's gold top LP my uncle owns and swears by, oh and one real 1957 Les Paul custom.

I think the normal run of the mill Gibsons are over priced and the quality control stinks. (I also think the chambering is a crock) I think that some good ones come through but you shouldn't have to play ten to find one. Now the custom shop I feel is a different story. They are putting out great instruments and at sometime great prices. Mines a plain top so I got it for 2700 out the door brand new. Only a few hundred more than a regular standard. I have no doubt in my mind this guitar will be around in 50 years, it's built as solid as any other I have ever played. And thats on a steady gigging schedule its gone through for the past year of at least 3 rehersals a week, and 1-2 shows a weekend, plus an hour or so of bedrrom wanking in the off nights.

I'm sorry that you had a terrible experince with yours and some of the WORST customer service I have ever seen. For an instrument that price that is unacceptable, but to say all of the historic reissues wont be around in 50 years I feel is an overstatment and not a true gauge of some of Gibsons higher end instruments.

"I think the normal run of the mill Gibsons are over priced and the quality control stinks. (I also think the chambering is a crock) I think that some good ones come through but you shouldn't have to play ten to find one. Now the custom shop I feel is a different story. They are putting out great instruments..."

Yes, I will agree with that..."Chambered Les Paul" is an oxymoron. I look at the Custom/Historic Shop and Gibson USA as being two separate companies.

LerxstLee said:
Dusty Rhodes said:
Most know that by now .

I have played a 59 that was a complete turd, didnt resonate, had crap sustain. Just a bad guitar.

See I think there are good guitars and bad ones from all the era's. The big hype with the 58-60's Les Pauls and why they are so is expensive is simply because they are so rare and so many baby boomers who grew up watching Jimmy Page and others playing 59 flame tops wanted one when they were kids. They are viewed as collecters items and investments now. I mean I'm sure the quality control and craftmanship was WAY better then, but I'm sure some crappy ones snuck through. The 57 I played was a great guitar, but nowhere near 60,000.00 dollars good like the store wanted for it. I also have played a 70's Les Paul custom, a white one with a maple neck that was killer, I don't know if it was a pancake body and to les paul snobs the neck was made of the wrong wood, but it killed.

And honestly outside of Jimmy Page, Slash and maybe a couple other guys, who is going to gig with their $200,000+ Les Paul??

bluesymetal said:
See I think there are good guitars and bad ones from all the era's. The big hype with the 58-60's Les Pauls and why they are so is expensive is simply because they are so rare and so many baby boomers who grew up watching Jimmy Page and others playing 59 flame tops wanted one when they were kids. They are viewed as collecters items and investments now. I mean I'm sure the quality control and craftmanship was WAY better then, but I'm sure some crappy ones snuck through. The 57 I played was a great guitar, but nowhere near 60,000.00 dollars good like the store wanted for it. I also have played a 70's Les Paul custom, a white one with a maple neck that was killer, I don't know if it was a pancake body and to les paul snobs the neck was made of the wrong wood, but it killed.

And honestly outside of Jimmy Page, Slash and maybe a couple other guys, who is going to gig with their $200,000+ Les Paul??

well said! it seems like everything from that era gets a big following and alot of praise just because people grew up watching jimmy page with a les paul and a marshall. of course we all know that there are better (amp) alternatives *snicker*

I do agree that run of the mill les pauls suck and the custom shop ones rock. my brother has a studio which is basically terrible and my friend has a 58 reissue which is just fantastic.

to me it seems like gibson and marshall (mostly just those two) have just been resting on their laurels and using jimmy page, slash, jimi hendrix, and angus young and other mega-name artists to sell their products. well at least companies like mesa/boogie can actually produce a quality product rather than something with a name everyone remembers from a show they went to when they were 15

Latest posts

Back