two ace - two different volume level (50%)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

hi folks,

just got my two aces in the living room for a week,
then while testing under realistic conditions I noticed
that one amp has got just half the power (yes i
checked the effect loop poti ;-)

what can this cause? bad tubes? preamp or main?

thanks in advance!
dean

there's a lot that could be wrong. Did you check each speaker? and ohms and guitar cables, settings, PI tube. You'll have to make sure all things are equal in both amps. I hope it's someting small, and not your amp. Good luck.

hi,

is there any tech with know-how who can give me a tip why the two amps are so different in volume?

sorry but the answers above are not really helping. of course all parameters are set the same and cables and so on etc. ...

regards
dean

hi tarzan

nice answer again, did not really cure my pain. but now after you have tested the ace and placed your report, where is the solution for the prob that i have?

mesa did NOT give me an answer to my customer request after two days until now. tomorrow i will consult the dealer and tell him what to do - means to change or replace the preamp valves (guess you usa people call them tubes right?)

thought i had bought some toy for men but feel being surrounded by boys.

take care! ;-)
dean

Ahhh Yes...
A boy who bought a Man's toy, Who isn't Man enough to use it or fix it. Sorry Dean...but have a Great Day! :wink:
GUITARZAN

dean69 said:
hi,

is there any tech with know-how who can give me a tip why the two amps are so different in volume?

sorry but the answers above are not really helping. of course all parameters are set the same and cables and so on etc. ...

regards
dean

It could be a bad pot. Being shipped so far, it may have been wacked in and you are not getting the full sweep. Do the two pots feel different when you turn them.

In the mean time get a Sharpie and remove the preamp tubes 1 by 1 from the one one that works and number them. Remove the ones from the one that does not work properly and number them and put them in a box so you dont confuse them all. Try putting the tubes from the working amp into the bad amp and see if it solves your problem.

went to the dealer today - we got the amp out of the chassis and switched each tube one by one. in the preamp section the middle one was down.

actually i just noticed that cause one amp was louder. the ace is really loud so i might have not noticed without the second amp. was playing plexi, lead, jcm, all marshall, all 100w tops for nearly 30 years and never ever had a tube problem. this one comes out of the factory and is down (so far about mesa super douper advanced valves from russia ;-)

thanks for your help (tarzan for mental support)!

take care, hope i can help also in the future.
regards
dean

the ones I got have tubes called 12 AX7 Russian 2 and both amps have big red "Export" letters on the user manual

anyway it is not really a big thing that a tube is quitting the job. it should just not be when the amp is brand new. and after telling the guys how to do that they gave me the tube on guarantee, though i bought four new ones just for the case ;-)

Back