Tweed?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
i know the function of the tweed/full switch on my mark 4...but where does the word tweed come from?

Did a quick search on google, but couldn't really find much. It's probably a slang term... maybe they used it to describe how the tone "feels" when the amp is on that mode... early breakup... rougher sounding... somewhat similar to real tweed material? Beats the hell outta me :lol:

wow!thanks for the info and the extra effort.i was kinda thinking it was a slang term.

the early fender amps were covered in a fabric known as "Twill." Twill fabric is noted for having diagonal patterns in its weave. Tweed is also a fabric, but more suited for woolen coats and such. The misnomer of Tweed was applied to the early Fender amps (actually covered in twill fabric) and persists to this day. The tweed term refers to a tone similar to the early Fender amps. Hope this abbreviated response helps.

thunda1216 said:
the early fender amps were covered in a fabric known as "Twill." Twill fabric is noted for having diagonal patterns in its weave. Tweed is also a fabric, but more suited for woolen coats and such. The misnomer of Tweed was applied to the early Fender amps (actually covered in twill fabric) and persists to this day. The tweed term refers to a tone similar to the early Fender amps. Hope this abbreviated response helps.

Exactly. +1. Tweed refers to the old 1950's Fenders, primarily the Deluxe and Champ. Tweed power switches to an extended tap on the Power transformer's primary that drops all voltages in the amp. This gives it a "Brown Sound" similar to the Fender Tweed amps. It also allows for the power tubes to be swapped for 6V6s, which were the tubes used in the amps of the time.

The tweed amps of the Fifties were designed to run on the A/C of the Fifties, which was usually around 110 volts.
Today's common house voltage is 117-120 volts.
The "Tweed" setting reduces the voltages inside the amp to about 93 volts.
The fabric covering was copied from luggage.

thanks for all the replies!so when you say the "tweed" amps of the 50s,you are refering to the fenders?

My tweed Deluxe clone-
deluxe.jpg

It's a raunchy sounding amp with a lot of sag -due to the antiquated circuit, the voltage drops when you hit it hard (aka "sag") then recovers as the notes decay, stretching them out kind of like a compressor. It distorts with the volume set to 3, distorts more at 6 (without getting much louder) and all hell breaks loose when it's set to 12!

It has all of 12-14 watts and keeps up with a drummer at saloon gigs un-mic'd.

Guitar Cases as well.......or in this case, a display Case......

"When you've got a guitar worth showing off, simply setting it out on a stand won't do. The Tweed '59 display case has the style and flair to show off your guitar while protecting it with hand-built excellence. It has durable, premium-quality construction with a solid radiata pine frame, vintage-style waxed tweed cloth covering, brass hardware, a magnetic catch on the door, and a clear acrylic door with highly polished edges. A voluptuous padded dark chocolate velvet interior, String Swing guitar hanger, and metal back brace support make a solid and stylish backdrop for your axe. The Tweed '59 requires no assembly and installs in just minutes at home or in the office or studio. It comes with a lifetime warranty."

8)

Latest posts

Back