tweed or full?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
if i am running my mark 4 in pentode/simul....does the full/tweed power switch have anything to do with the tone....other than lower the wattage.if so,what sound is tweed not good at achieving?

I find the amp has a saggier feel in Tweed, your sound is not as punchy. It can give the illusion of looser gain structure in a way to. Not that that the amount changes, it just seems you have to dig in harder for it to hit harder. Which would make sense in terms of voltage.

I tend to always flop between the 2 for the sake of change. Full Power is sooo satisfying when you want your sound to reach out of the speaker and smack you in the face. Pick attack is instant and exploding and you can hear the tubes complaining about working so hard. It's awesome. Now if you've been in triode the whole time, flip to pentode for x2 of what I just described.

I really want to go play my amp now....

Edit: I realise I didn't really answer your question about the sound haha. I just got caught in my own little world... Anyway I don't find it changes the tone, just how the tone is portrayed. Others might find differently.

in tweed mode i find it hard to get a good loud punchy clean without breakup.. i rarely ever use it in my band since we play loud, but i might bust it out in a quieter blues jam session or something.. this is definitely just my opinion though

if you want your amp to sound as close to a single recto you put it on tweed.. it makes your sound saggy and looser like a recto..

Latest posts

Back